What makes an interesting question? Although the answer is somewhat subjective, we can probably all agree that an interesting question is one that is designed for the situation, causes a bit of speculative thinking, and results in a somewhat unknown or clever answer. Plus, they are fun for both the asker and answerer.
Table of Contents
In this article, we begin with some Fun Fact Questions designed to not only enjoy, but educate. Next, we have some general Fun Questions to Ask that work for anyone in any type of situation. Our Fun Questions to Ask Friends assume a relationship that will allow some more personal questions designed to get to know someone better. We end the article with two sections to help you get to know that someone special better: Interesting Questions to Ask a Girl and Interesting Questions to Ask a Guy. Whichever list you choose to use, try to keep the mood light and enjoyable.
Fun Fact Questions
The world is full of amazing things! Our Fun Fact Questions assume most of our readers like the unusual. Some will make you scratch your head, some will amaze, and some will generate laughter. All of these questions will add to your store of unique, and possibly unnecessary, fun facts to share with others.
- What does Kentucky have more of, bourbon or people?
- What was the real name of “The Sundance Kid”?
- Are there any smells a woman can be attracted to?
- Do you know you have a body part that can regrow itself?
- Are you pronouncing Dr. Seuss’ name wrong?
- What is the most common letter in the English language? [/showhide] Are you pronouncing Dr. Seuss’ name wrong?
- Are more Americans killed by cows or sharks each year?
- Why do dogs like squeaky toys?
- What causes the “new car smell”?
- Is there any benefit to chewing gum?
- Did you know that copper door knobs are self-disinfecting?
- Does water temperature effect the sounds it makes when poured?
- Do dogs understand language?
- Are there any animals other than chimpanzees and gorillas that have human-like fingerprints?
- How many species that have existed on the earth are extinct?
- Is laughter caused because something is funny?
- What is the most expensive car in the world and who makes it?
- What do the “Ms” in the name of M&Ms candy stand?
Fun Questions to Ask
Our Fun Questions to Ask will work anywhere and with anyone. They are simple enough for the youngest child and clever enough for an adult party. All of these questions are designed to open the door to conversation and get to know others.
- What is your full name?
- How did you get your name?
- Do you have a nickname? What is it?
- Where and when were you born?
- Do you like where you live now?
- What is your favorite color?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What is your favorite sport for watching? To participate in?
- What is your favorite Disney movie?
- What is the funniest thing you have ever seen?
- If you could be any animal, which animal would you choose to be?
- Do you have a pet? What kind and what is its name?
- What is your favorite food?
- Who is your favorite family member other than your Mom or Dad?
- Do you have any siblings?
- How close are you to your family?
- What do you like most about your family? The least?
- Where would you like to go on vacation?
- Is there a song you know by heart? Will you sing it for me, please?
- What is your favorite smell? Taste? Sound?
- What is your favorite book?
- Which do you like best, cake or cookies?
- What is your favorite time of the year?
- What is your favorite cartoon character?
- What is the hardest thing you have learned to do? The easiest?
- What is one thing you really enjoy doing?
- Is there anything you are afraid of?
- Do you have a blanket, stuffed animal, or pillow you cannot sleep without?
Fun Questions to Ask Friends
One thing wonderful about friends is the special bond that can only become stronger the more you know about each other. Our Fun Questions to Ask Friends presupposes you wish to take your relationship to the next level. Probing, personal questions are not always appropriate, but when you want to get to know someone really well, you need tear down the barriers between what is acceptable and what you really want to know about someone. Smile and ask away!
- Do you have any tattoos? Where and what do they mean?
- What one thing in your past are you ashamed of?
- Were you a mama’s or a daddy’s kid?
- What is your favorite memory?
- Who was your first crush?
- Which would you rather have to see, the doctor or the dentist?
- Have you ever had surgery?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- What are you most afraid of?
- Do you set goals? If so, for how many years in the future?
- What do you dream of doing?
- Is there anything you feel you cannot live without?
- Do you have nightmares, recurring dreams, or “out of body” experiences?
- Do you believe in God? Why or why not?
- Would you characterize yourself as a liberal or conservative? Why?
- Is there any issue or cause you feel strongly about? (i.e., climate change, pollution, abortion, etc.)
- What is the best vacation you have ever taken?
- Which do you think is more fulfilling, marriage or staying single?
- If you had an unlimited amount of money, how would you choose to spend it?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What one book or movie has had the greatest impact on your life?
- Did you ever have a teacher who either disliked you or you disliked? How did you react?
- What was your favorite subject in school? Your least favorite?
- Did you ever cheat in school?
- What was the biggest lie you ever told anyone?
- Have you ever been arrested?
- Have you ever been so drunk that you passed out or had blackouts?
- Have you ever had a near death experience?
- What genetic characteristic do you have that you like the most? The least?
- Are you addicted to anything?
- What one word do you think others would use to describe you? Which one would you use to describe yourself?
Interesting Questions to Ask a Girl
Asking a girl the wrong questions can mean the beginning of the end of a relationship. Therefore, we have carefully collected a group of questions designed to glean some information without offending or causing embarrassment. Many of them will also cause a smile or laughter, a good way to create a relaxed and friendly feeling.
- Are most of your friends completely opposite or most similar to you?
- If you were given a shopping spree for free at one store, which store would you choose?
- If you had to bury a treasure, where would you hide it?
- What one word would you use to describe your family?
- What is your favorite movie, the one you can you watch over and over again?
- Do you have a pet? If so, tell me about it, please.
- Would you rather go to a club, a house party, or have a small get-together with some of your best friends?
- Would you like to travel and see the world?
- If you could visit any country in the world, which one would you choose?
- Do you prefer outdoor activities or chilling at home?
- What is your favorite type of music to listen to?
- Do you like to play table games? Work jigsaw puzzles?
- What do you spend the most time pondering or thinking about?
- What is one talent you have?
- Which physical feature do you have that you like the best?
- What is one physical feature you have that you would like to change?
- Have you ever been on a blind date and was it successful or a waste of time?
- What one word would you choose to describe your style, i.e., classic, hip, etc.?
- Would you rather receive candy or flowers? Why?
- What is there about your chosen profession you really enjoy? Dislike?
- Have you ever done anything really crazy or daring?
- Have you ever met a celebrity?
- Have you ever stayed awake all night?
- What is your favorite holiday or celebration?
- How do you like to spend your weekends? Evenings?
- Would you rather do the right things or do things right?
- Have you ever won anything?
- What is the scariest thing you have ever encountered or done?
- Looking back on your life, what is one regret you have?
- What is one thing most people do not know about you?
- Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
- What are two things you do not think you could live without?
- Which is more important to you, financial security or a happy life?
Interesting Questions to Ask a Guy
Perhaps it is a first date and you wish to make conversation. Or maybe, you have known him for a while and want to find out more about him. Either way, our Interesting Questions to Ask a Guy will give you plenty of fodder for a date night, telephone conversation – any type of occasion, meet-up, or even at a party.
- If you could be really good at one sport, which would you choose
- If you could solve one world-wide problem, which problem would you choose?
- If you had only one day left to live, what would you do?
- If you were arrested with no explanation, what would your family and friends assume you had done?
- If you were given a one-minute ad slot during the Super Bowl, what would you choose to use it for?
- If everyone would celebrate one day in your honor, what kind of celebration would there be?
- What one event in your life would make a good movie?
- What do you think is your best personality trait?
- What food combination do you dislike so much you would ban it if you could?
- What item or object that you own is your favorite?
- When did you feel the biggest adrenaline rush in your life?
- What is your profession (job, occupation) and do you enjoy it?
- If you could change your job, what would you want to do?
- What is one thing that always makes you angry?
- What is the nicest thing you have ever done for someone?
- What TV show or movie do you quote the most?
- Is there any mistake you seem to make repeatedly?
- What is your favorite food to eat late at night?
- Did anyone ever convince you of something and you later found out it was totally wrong?
- What embarrassing thing have you done that makes you laugh now?
- If you could have been born at any time in history, when would you choose and why?
- What is the worst movie you have seen?
- What is your favorite television show or series?
- If you could invite any famous person, living or dead, to dinner, who would it be and why?
- What is your favorite fast-food place?
- What is the fastest you have ever driven?
- Do you have any habit you feel you need to break?
- Do you like to cook and, if so, what do you like to make?
- What is the funniest joke you know and tell at parties?
- Would you rather spend your money or save it?
- What is your funniest childhood memory?
- What is one thing you never want to do?
- Which do you prefer, the beach or the mountains?
So, there you have it; interesting questions for almost any situation or occasion.
You do not need to ask the questions we have provided in any specific order, although some are grouped by similarity. Go ahead and skip any questions that you wish to.
When you use our list, you might find that one question will prompt your mind to think of another, related question. This is how a really great conversation can get started. So, ask away and have fun!
Susan majored in English with a double minor in Humanities and Business at Arizona State University and earned a Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Liberty University. She taught grades four through twelve in both public and private schools. Subjects included English, U.S. and world history and geography, math, earth and physical science, Bible, information technologies, and creative writing.
Susan has been freelance writing for over ten years, during which time she has written and edited books, newspaper articles, biographies, book reviews, guidelines, neighborhood descriptions for realtors, Power Point presentations, resumes, and numerous other projects.