Christmas is dubbed by many as the most wonderful time of the year. It is full of joyful caroling, feel-good movies, delightful treats, and festive decorations. The holiday season inspires musical numbers ranging from children’s rhymes to ballads and everything in between.
Table of Contents
Children’s Christmas Song Trivia Questions
The magic of the Christmas season begins with little children. School programs are filled with musical numbers that celebrate kindness, gift-giving, and holiday cheer. Staples like Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer are played endlessly throughout the Christmas season.
- What activity inspired the song “Jingle Bells?”A town-wide sled race.
- What brings Frosty the Snowman to life?A magical hat
- In “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” how many reindeer pull Santa’s sleigh?9
- What does Alvin the Chipmunk want in “The Chipmunk Song?”“Me, I want a Hula Hoop!”
- How many gifts did the singer receive in “12 days of Christmas?”364
- What word is used for ‘family’ in the song “We Wish You a Merry Christmas?”Kin
- In the song “Mr. Grinch,” what is his brain full of?Black Spiders
- In Santa Claus is Coming to Town, the singer tells children, “You better not cry” and “You better not _____.”Pout
- Who has a button nose?Frosty the Snowman
- In the 12 Days of Christmas, who sends the gifts?The singer’s true love
Classic Holiday Carol Trivia
The Christmas holiday elicits so much cheer that the list of cherished holiday music classics is pretty long. Many of these songs have been recorded and re-recorded by different artists in different genres and eras to keep the spirit of Christmas music alive.
- What year was “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” first recorded?1963
- What beverage does the singer tell the audience to have a cup of in “A Holly Jolly Christmas?”Have a Cup of Cheer
- What movie from popular culture references “Jingle Bell Rock” in the opening scene?Lethal Weapon
- What Christmas song is known by two different names?The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)/Chestnuts Roasting over an Open Fire.
- Who first recorded the Frank Sinatra hit song “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas?”Judy Garland
- How old was singer Brenda Lee when she recorded the classic Christmas hit “Rockin Around the Christmas Tree?”13
- What Chuck Berry hit was based on the classic children’s song “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?”Run, Rudolph, Run by Chuck Berry
- What is the most published Christmas hymn?“Joy to the World” was published in 1387 hymnals across North America before 1979
- Since 1963, Many artists have recorded “White Christmas,” but only one has charted with it. Who was that?Michael Bolton
- What tune does Carol Brady lead the carolers in singing during the 1988 “A Very Brady Movie?”“O Come All Ye Faithful”
Popular Culture Christmas Song Trivia
Professional singers, including pop stars and jazz legends, put their own special spin on the holidays by releasing covers and originals of Christmas-themed music. Some of the more iconic voices have even put out entire Christmas albums that play on a loop on many radio stations during the Christmas season.
- What pop singer has been named the Queen of Christmas?Mariah Carey (All I Want for Christmas is You)
- What pop Christmas hit was released in 1984 but did not rank in the charts until 2017?“Last Christmas” by Wham!
- What country music icon wrote Roy Orbison’s hit “Pretty Paper?”Willie Nelson
- What kind of bird has gone away in Ella Fitzgerald’s “Winter Wonderland?”A Bluebird
- What iconic Elvis Presley Christmas song was digitally remastered into a duet version with the King in 2008?Blue Christmas with Martina McBride, Elvis Presley
- The original recording of what song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1964?The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting Over an Open Fire) by Nat King Cole
- Country music duo Joey + Rory wrote this Christmas tune during a stay at their family farm in Indiana.It’s Christmas Time by Joey + Rory
- Jim Brickman (Five for Fighting) wrote and sang what Christmas song as a tribute to deployed soldiers?“Christmas Where You Are” The music video for this hit song features pictures of men and women at home and abroad who are serving our country.
- What Beach Boys song features Santa’s sleigh as a Nordic hot rod?“Little Saint Nick” by the Beach Boys
- Why did the little boy buy his mother’s shoes in the song “The Christmas Shoes?”The mother was sick, and the family was poor, but the boy wanted his mother to look good if she met Jesus tonight, suggesting that she might pass away soon.
- Country star Kacey Musgraves collaborated with legend Willie Nelson and others on this not-so-traditional Christmas hit as a fun tribute collaboration.“Have a Willie Nice Christmas”
- Elmo of the Elmo and Patsy that released the hit “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” is what profession by his day job?Dr. Elmo of Elmo and Patsy is a veterinarian but does more tv and radio interviews each holiday season than most artists.
- What comedic Christmas song was written as a parody of holiday greed and consumerism?“Another Christmas Song” by Stephen Colbert
- A pop-culture Katy Perry song is a nod to Danish Christmas culture?“Cozy Little Christmas” by Katy Perry was written to reflect on her time in Copenhagen, Denmark, and the special holiday feeling that the Danish culture shares, thick with traditions of Christmas beers, special chocolates, and buttery candles.
- What comedic Christmas song recorded by the Barenaked Ladies is a nod to the timeless story “A Christmas Carol?”“Green Christmas” by Barenaked Ladies
Christmas Song Trivia Questions Takeaway
Music is an integral part of the human celebration, and no festive season would be complete without a full selection of perfectly themed songs. Some are more traditional and have been passed down through the years, recorded and re-recorded as many times as singers can sing them. Others are original works of art that fall into their own unique category.
To music artists, Christmas songs are some of the greatest songs that were ever written. You cannot simply take any song and tag some festive lyrics into it. A great Christmas song can only be a Christmas song and nothing else.