The 1990’s was a decade filled with firsts, famous faces, and so much more. Our 90’s Trivia will see how much you and your friends remember from that exciting era. We have lists covering 90’s movies, music, TV shows, cartoons, and pop culture. Then we challenge you with a section on 90’s trivia questions and answers, where we have listed the questions and answers separately so you can test yourself to see how much you know about this awesome decade. So, put on your thinking caps, relax, and remember where you were in the 90’s and what you were doing.
Table of Contents
90’s Movie Trivia
There is nothing quite like sitting in a darkened movie theater munching popcorn and watching the latest film. The 90’s were filled with memorable movies and we have three lists to challenge your memory: Movie Quotes, Movie Characters, and Name the Movie.
- What character said, “Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?” and in what movie?
- What character said, “I see dead people,” and in what movie was this line said?
- Who said, “I’m the king of the world!” and in what film?
- In what movie was the line, “Keep the change, ya filthy animal!” and who said it?
- What actress playing what part said, “Molly, you in danger girl.” And in what movie was it said?
- What actor, playing what part in what movie was the line, “There’s no crying in baseball.”
- Who said, “What’s in the box?” and in what movie?
- What veteran actor said, “You can’t handle the truth!” and in what film?
- What movie is the memorable line, “You had me at hello,” said and in what movie?
- In the movie Forrest Gump, released in 1994, Forrest compares life to what?
- What are the names of the two mice in The Rescuers Down Under?
- What actor voiced the villain for the 1997 animated movie Hercules?
- Who played Captain Steven Hiller in Independence Day?
- What movie was Robin Williams’ first animated film?
- What 1997 film stars John Malkovich, Nicolas Cage, and John Cusack?
- What actor spoke the part of Moses in The Prince of Egypt?
- What two Disney princesses are left-handed?
- What actress plays as the main character in the movie Clueless?
- What actor played Keyser Soze in the film The Usual Suspects?
Name the Movie
- What was the highest grossing film of the 90’s?
- What 90’s animated film was Disney’s first release on DVD?
- What 90’s movie had Looney Tunes music as its soundtrack?
- What 90’s movie is remembered for songs that included “My Guy (My God)” and “I Will Follow Him”?
- What 90’s war film is famous for its 23-minute long graphic second scene?
- In what movie did Leonardo DiCaprio play Frank Abignale, who was a pilot, a doctor, and a legal prosecutor?
- What 90’s film had the soundtrack that became the bestselling one of all time?
- What Disney film, released on November 22, 1995, was the first and only animated film to receive a Special Achievement Academy Award, received three Academy Award nominations for Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Song, and Best Original Score, earned over $373 million worldwide, and is widely considered to be one of the best animated films ever made?
90’s Music Trivia
90’s music included Rock, a new brand of Rock called Grunge, Punk, Ska, Nu-metal, and Alternative. Rap emerged in the 90’s as well. We have included one-hit wonders, award winners, groups, and artists in our list of 90’s Music Trivia. Many of the songs and groups are now considered some of the best ever. See how much you can remember and then challenge your friends and family.
- Who is the lead singer for the band Smashing Pumpkins?
- What is the name of the 1997 rock band in which were Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman, and Will Champion?
- What band released “Give It Away” in 1991?
- What song by Pulp has the line, “She came from Greece, she had a thirst for knowledge”?
- What 90’s song by Peter Andre has this line, “I stop and stare at you, walking on the shore, I try to concentrate, my mind wants to explore”?
- What movie star appeared in Paula Abdul’s “Rush, Rush” video?
- What is the name of MC Hammer’s most successful single of the 90’s?
- What movie star danced “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” with Tom Petty?
- What song by Katrina and The Waves won the 1997 Eurovision Song Contest for the United Kingdom?
- What Seal song has the line, “Solitary brother, Is there still a part of you that wants to live?”
- What was the English rock band Blur’s first number one single in the UK?
- Nirvana had the most successful song in the 90’s. What was its name?
- What was the name of Shaggy’s 1993 hit song?
- What 1995 Michael Jackson song reached number one in the UK and the U.S.?
- What artist earned the Academy Award in 1994 for Best Original Song for his “Streets of Philadelphia”?
- What 1996 song by Toni Braxton includes the lyrics, “I cried so many nights”?
- What two New Kids on the Block were brothers?
- What American female singer released an album The Immaculate Collection in 1990?
- What boy band released the song titled “A Different Beat” in 1996?
- What female recording artist released “Hero” in 1993?
- What is the name of the Jamaican singer who released “Iron Lion Zion” in 1992?
- What male vocalist released a bestselling album in 1991 called Diamonds And Pearls?
- What Queen song includes the lyrics, “But life still goes on, I can’t get used to, living without, living without, living without you by my side”?
- What rock band had the number one hit “The Fly” in 1991?
- What is the name of the rock band formed by Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon, Alex James, Dave Rowntree?
- What song of the Roxette duo was featured in movie Pretty Woman?
- What Steven Kapoor song was included in the soundtrack for Dumb and Dumber?
- What is the name of the Swedish pop group’s whose founding members are Jonas, Jenny, Linn, and Ulf?
- What two members of NSYNC were Mouseketeers on The All New Mickey Mouse Club?
- Eric Clapton had a UK top 30 hit in 1991 with what song?
- Who had a U.S. number one song in 1992 with “This Used To Be My Playground”?
- Who is the lead singer of Hole, the American alternative rock band?
- Who is the main vocalist of Irish boy band Westlife?
- What singer sang the lyrics, “Look into my eyes – you will see, what you mean to me” and in what song?
- What band, formed in Columbia, South Carolina, sang “Hold my hand”?
- What rock band from Los Angeles, California sang “Renegades Of Funk”?
- What female artist sang the hit song “My Heart Will Go On” from Titanic?
90’s TV Show Trivia
The 1990’s saw the beginning of some great television shows and the ending of others. We have included in our list of 90’s TV Show Trivia programs that fit into both categories, as well as some long-running TV favorites that spanned the decade and beyond.
- Family Guy, What premiered in 1999, took place in what state?
- What American drama first reacted to 9/11?
- What is the last name of the family in The Cosby Show?
- “Second Time Around” was the theme song for what TV series?
- In what city did the Simpson family live?
- What Sex and the City actress was never nude in any scenes?
- What is the cause of the death of George Costanza’s fiancé in Seinfeld?
- In what city was Cheers set?
- What character has selective mutism in The Big Bang Theory?
- What character in Everybody Loves Raymond thought he had a bed-wetting problem when he was a child, because Raymond poured water in his bed?
- In what city and state does the Connor family of the television show Roseanne live?
- In what 90’s sitcom was neighbor Earl Hindman’s face obscured by a fence?
- What is the name of the coffee shop where the characters in the sitcom Friends hang out?
- Who killed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks?
- What character from Beavis and Butthead was given her own show?
- Claire Danes got her start on what TV show?
- What was the name of the beach club that the gang worked at in Saved By The Bell?
- On the X-files, what was the name of Mulder and Scully’s supervisor?
- What is the name of the crazy older brother on Boy Meets World?
- What was the name of the fictional San Francisco magazine the lead character, played by Brooke Shields, worked for on Suddenly Susan?
- What were the names of the two airlines at the Tom Nevers Field airport in the series Wings?
- Mimi sent Drew to what foreign country on The Drew Carey Show?
- Frasier is a 90’s spinoff of what 80’s TV show?
- What was the butler’s name in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?
- In Beast Wars: Transformers, what is the name of the Maximal Ship?
- What make and model of car does Nash Bridges drive?
- In what city does Matlock take place and what does he wear every day?
- Where does Murder, She Wrote take place?
- Who was the professional model to first host of MTV’s House of Style?
90’s Cartoon Trivia
- In the Cartoon Network show, Cow and Chicken, how do the two animals know each other?
- In Captain Planet and the Planeteers, each Planeteer possesses a power related to the elements: wind, earth, water, fire, and what else?
- In Tiny Toons, What character is obsessed with petting and chasing animals and wears a skull bow in her hair?
- What activity did Pinky and The Brain, two genetically-spliced lab mice, participate in every night?
- What is the dog’s name in the Nickelodeon TV show Doug?
- What is the name of Goofy’s cat in Disney’s Goof Troop?
- Who is Tommy and Dil’s parents in Rugrats?
- What sport does Otto Rocket (in Rocket Power) not participate in?
- In what state does The Angry Beavers take place?
- What is the name of Dexter’s archrival In Dexter’s Laboratory?
- What tool does Tommy Pickles of Rugrats carry around?
- In Ren and Stimpy, what type of animal is Stimpy?
- What is the name of Angelica Pickles’ doll in Rugrats?
- In what city does Rocket Power take place?
- Who is Doug Funny’s girlfriend?
- What is the name of the quirky teacher in the Magic School Bus and whose voice do we hear?
- What is the name of Yakko and Dots’ third sibling?
- What is the name of the masked vigilante that worked with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
- What is the name of Jungle Gym in the show Recess?
- What does Fenton Crackshell say whenever he wishes to transform into Gizmoduck?
- What is the name of the Pokémon Pikachu evolves into?
- In the show Rocko’s Modern Life, what kind of animal is Rocko?
- What is the fat Australian mouse’s name with a red mustache in Chip ‘n Dale’s Rescue Rangers?
- Where does Arnold live in Hey Arnold?
- Where do the conjoined twins in CatDog live?
- What animated TV series is famous for its couch gag before the opening credits and at the end of the show?
- Who is the owner of the air-service business in Tailspin?
- Who is Gambit’s romantic interest in X-Men: The Animated Series?
- In Scooby-Doo, what does the gang call their van?
- In SpongeBob SquarePants, what is the name of SpongeBob’s pet snail who thinks he is a cat?
- In The Fairly OddParents, what are the names of Timmy’s godparents?
- The theme song What begins with, “Where has predictability gone?” is from what TV show?
- What tabloid individual did Drew Barrymore play in a made-for-TV movie?
- The supernatural portal “Hellmouth” was from What 90’s TV show?
90’s Pop Culture Trivia
The 90’s introduced many cultural phenomenons that have remained part of our lives. We have included questions covering fashion, sports, video games, songs, movies – anything that was of note during this thrilling decade.
- Mike Tyson bit off a portion of whose ear during a boxing match?
- When the Pokémon video game craze hit the United States in 1998, what two iterations of the series were published on Game Boy?
- At what event did Michael Jackson give an onstage kiss to his wife Lisa Marie Presley?
- Howie Dorough, A. J. McLean, Nick Carter, Brian Littrell, and Kevin Richardson formed what boy band in 1993?
- Winona Ryder’s character Lelaina declares that she won’t work for what retail chain In Reality Bites?
- What fashion label fired Marc Jacobs for his infamous “grunge” collection in 1992?
- Who became the first woman to be appointed as the secretary of state in the United States in 1997?
- What gaming platform did GoldenEye 007, often regarded as one of the best video games of its generation, debut on?
- In what U.S. city were the 1996 Summer Olympics held?
- From what country did the band Ace of Base come?
- What dance craze was popularized by the Canadian music duo Los Del Mar in the 90’s?
- In Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, who plays Obi-Wan Kenobi?
- What is a Baby-G?
- What was the real name of singer Courtney Love?
- What small, plush toys did Ty Inc. sell that became extremely popular 90’s?
- What snack did 90’s consumers put over the tip of their fingers before eating?
- What was the name of Aaliyah’s first single released in 1994?
- What was the flavor of the soft drink Surge, produced by Coca-Cola Company to compete with Pepsi’s Mountain Dew?
- Who was the judge who presided over the O.J. Simpson murder trial?
- What was the name of the Pentagon employee who secretly recorded Monica Lewinsky’s phone conversations when she talked about her affair with Bill Clinton?
- What was the name of the sheep that was successively cloned in 1996?
- What was the name of the man dubbed the Unabomber by the FBI?
- In what year did Princess Diana die in Paris in a car crash?
- What ’90s flying toy popular with girls was recalled because it caused injuries?
- What album sold more records: Spice Girls’ Spice or Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill?
- What Green Day album was released in 1994?
- What band formed first: Backstreet Boys or NSYNC?
- What future Oscar winner appeared in Beverly Hills, 90210 during the 1997-1998 television season?
- What Jim Carrey film came out first: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective or The Mask?
90’s Trivia Questions and Answers
Now it is time to test your knowledge of the 90’s. We have listed the answers to these trivia questions separately, so that you can test yourself and your friends. See who gets the highest score. The list also works well for a quick game of trivia with your family and friends.
- In 1998, what movie won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay?
- What toy prop in Home Alone 2 actually became a real toy because of popular demand?
- What was the highest grossing movie of the ’90s?
- Who is the Sesame Street star who was tickled with laughter and became a 1996 must-have Christmas toy?
- In the 1996 video game series Tomb Raider, what is the name of the female protagonist?
- Who released the song “Ice Ice Baby” in 1990?
- Who played Kevin McCallister in the 1990 Christmas film Home Alone?
- What group sang the theme song for Friends?
- Who authored the book The Firm in 1991?
- Johnny Depp had whose name tattooed on his ring finger?
- Elton John wrote and sang what song at the funeral following the death of Princess Diana in a car crash in Paris in 1997?
- In which year the TV drama Law and Order start?
- When rap was just becoming well-known in the 90’s, who was the artist with the first number- one rap single?
- What was the 90’s purse carried on a belt around the waist called?
- What Broadway musical won the Tony for Best Musical in 1994?
- What is the name of Julia Roberts’s top grossing movie of the year 1998?
- What is the name of the artist who sings “Oh, Pretty Woman,” the theme song of the movie Pretty Woman?
- What is the name of the athlete who lit the Olympic torch Atlanta in 1996?
- What is the name of the horse who won the Kentucky and Preakness in 1999?
- What is the name of the jockey who took his last ride on February 3, 1990?
- What is the name of the player who was named Sportsman of the Year in 1996 and won the 1997 Masters?
- Who won the Wimbledon singles title in 1990?
- What was the best-selling book of 1993 by Robert James Waller that Clint Eastwood directed and starred in?
- Who was the singer knighted by Queen Elizabeth II on February 24, 1998?
- Who sang “Unchained Melody” in the movie Ghost?
- Who was the rapper shot dead in Las Vegas in September 1996?
Well, there you have it; the most comprehensive list of 90’s trivia to be found anywhere. If you lived through the 90’s or are simply a fan of the culture of that decade, we think you will love sharing this list with your family, friends, and co-workers. Ask away, and have fun!
Susan majored in English with a double minor in Humanities and Business at Arizona State University and earned a Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Liberty University. She taught grades four through twelve in both public and private schools. Subjects included English, U.S. and world history and geography, math, earth and physical science, Bible, information technologies, and creative writing.
Susan has been freelance writing for over ten years, during which time she has written and edited books, newspaper articles, biographies, book reviews, guidelines, neighborhood descriptions for realtors, Power Point presentations, resumes, and numerous other projects.