When a couple first starts dating, a romantic dinner and some drinks are usually enough. But after some time, they become more comfortable with each other. When this happens, it’s time to add more fun to the mix.
Table of Contents
This will bring back the “spark” which can make the couple grow closer. When you try to search online, you’ll find a lot of great date ideas to use. If you’re creative, you can also think of different ways to make your dates more interesting.
Dating is an important part of relationships. It’s not just important for getting to know the other person. Dating also allows the couple to share experiences throughout their relationship.
When you first go out with someone, you may want to think about some first date ideas. This will help break the ice and make you more comfortable with the person you’re dating.
When you’ve been dating for some time already, then you can think of more creative ideas. You can think about some interesting date ideas. These are as follows:
- Fun date ideas
- Cheap date ideas
- Romantic date ideas
In this article, we’ll go through some dating ideas and tips to up your dating game. Read on to learn more!
First Date Ideas
As we go through different date ideas, let’s start with the very first one. The first date is really important. This is the time when you make a first impression on a person. When you’re thinking of first date ideas, you should first consider your venue.
Great first date venues are those which will help keep the conversation upbeat.
So generally, it’s not ideal to select a venue like a dark movie theater or even a bar with loud music. On your first date, it’s okay to keep things simple. If you want to feel more comfortable, you can even invite your date to one of your favorite hangouts. Here are some great date ideas to use for first dates:
Meet your date at a cozy coffee shop
A lot of coffee shops can be excellent places for a first date. The environment promotes intimate or even upbeat conversation.
This is exactly what you want on a first date so you can get to know the other person better. Also, you can spend more time in coffee shops as long as you’ve ordered something.
Invite your date to dinner
This may seem like a common idea for a first date. But it’s very popular too. Dinner dates are great because they set the perfect mood for talking with a lot of eye contact.
Having a nice dinner will allow you to share the experience while learning more about each other.
Go on a fun activity
Another great idea for a first date is to meet for a fun activity. For instance, you can try taking a cooking or painting class together. This is also fun especially if it’s the first time for both of you to go to such class.
The activity will give you a chance to bond with each other. If everything goes well, you can continue the date by having dinner or a cup of coffee together.
Go for wine tasting at a winery or vineyard
This kind of activity is ideal if you don’t feel too comfortable with making small talk. Wine tasting and other similar activities come with built-in topics for conversation. Just make sure that the activity you join isn’t too complicated.
Also, make sure that it will give you an opportunity to spend one-on-one time with your date. These are some excellent ideas you can use on your first date. If everything goes well, you can set another date and start thinking about second date ideas.
Before you set that second date, ask yourself if you want to spend more time with that person again. This will make it easier for you to think of what you can do on your next date.
Second date ideas
The first date allows you to get the first impression of the person you’re with. It’s also the time when you feel more awkward and nervous. But if you had a fun time, then you may look forward to your second date with the same person.
Some people believe that after a successful first date, they don’t have to put in much effort anymore. Of course, this shouldn’t be the case. Thinking of second date ideas is just as important as thinking of ideas for the first date.
A well-planned second date will show the other person that you’d like to spend more time with him/her. Think of it as the follow-through after a strong first date. If you’d like to make a successful second date, think of ideas which would work with your common interests. To help you out, here are some ideas for you:
Have an exercise date
Invite your partner for a round of cycling or an early morning jog. It’s a bit unconventional but it’s a healthy and fun experience. This can also be the perfect second date for health buffs.
Go to the park and have a picnic
This is a classic, safe, and relaxing idea for a date. It will allow for more conversation and you can even cook the food to impress your date.
Volunteer at one of the local animal shelters
If you know that your date is an animal lover, then this would be an excellent idea to try. It’s unique and it will allow your date to see your softer side.
Go on an adventure outdoors
Going for a hike or other similar adventures would be very appealing to those who love nature. Visit a nature preserve, an ecological park or other similar venues those which will allow you to enjoy the great outdoors.
Try some exotic cuisine or go on a food trip
This is a great idea for foodies and basically, anyone who enjoys eating! Scour your city for the best food joints. You can also try street foods, fare from food trucks, and other unique eats. This could serve as a fun, affordable date which will satisfy your taste buds.
If you haven’t tried it yet, go on a craft beer or wine tasting spree. You can do this after your food trip or even plan it for your next date.
Learn a new skill
By the second date, you should already know a bit more about the other person. You can both think of a skill which you’d like to learn and join a class. Learning something new together can be an excellent bonding experience. This activity together will make you closer.
You can also try a taste of culture by visiting a museum or an art gallery
Such activities would be ideal if you love learning about culture and traditions. There are many places you can visit which would serve as fun learning experiences.
Go to a fun event like a comic convention or a renaissance fair
You don’t have to be a geek to have fun at such events. The newness of the experience will definitely make it more fun for you. For more adventurous types, you can go on a road trip.
Before the trip, visit a convenience store and purchase some snacks and drinks first. Do this so you’ll have food to eat when you stop somewhere. Also, don’t forget to pack your camera too so you can capture the precious moments!
Shopping date with your partner
Scour the local thrift stores and flea markets. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much fun this type of date can be. You can even try going to artisan bazaars which always have interesting items on sale.
Visit at your local archery or shooting range
This is another fun idea which you can try. Just make sure that your date won’t feel uncomfortable with such activities. You can also try having an urban exploring adventure. Also known as “urbex,” this is a fairly new type of activity.
It involves visiting abandoned sites such as hospitals, factories, and other old buildings. Mind you, this activity isn’t for the faint of heart!
If your date is at night, then you can go stargazing
It’s a great idea for a second date which is very romantic too. This activity will also give you an opportunity to have a great conversation with your date.
Finally, go on a tour at your date’s favorite candy factory. This is a “sweet” way to impress your date and have fun too.
Planning second dates is crucial too. It shows that you paid attention during your first date and you planned the second one with much effort. It doesn’t have to be extravagant or complicated. As the common saying goes, “it’s the thought that counts.”
Fun Date Ideas
If things go well after the first and second dates, then you may have more dates in your future. Although you don’t have to put a lot of effort into each and every date. But once in a while, consider thinking of some fun date ideas to try.
Planning such dates once in a while will add joy to your relationship. This will also show your partner that you love spending time with him/her. Also, it will make your partner feel that you enjoy doing fun activities together. Here are some fun date ideas for you:
Plan a picnic with outdoor games
This is a new twist to an old-fashioned activity. There’s something really fun about spending time outdoors. You can plan a picnic then bring along some props for games. You can play badminton, Frisbee, and more. Then when you’re tired, sit down and enjoy the food and drinks you’ve brought.
You can also go on other types of outdoor adventures. Enjoy a morning or an afternoon outdoors with your partner. Try a hiking or biking trail while spending some quality time with your date.
Why don’t you try playing tourist on your date? Even if you grew up in your city, you may not have visited the most popular tourist spots. Take this opportunity to visit the local landmarks and take a lot of pictures with your date.
Sing karaoke on your date
It doesn’t matter if you have a great voice or not, it’s the experience that counts. Select your favorite songs and have fun belting them out. This will show your date that you’re not ashamed to let loose once in a while.
Try physical activities like a dancing or workout class
If you’re a fan of ballroom dancing, bring your date along. You can also try a fun workout class such as rowing, spin class, boxing, and more. This can be an enjoyable experience especially if you’re both health buffs.
- If you don’t like physical activities, you can try taking a more artistic route. Take a pottery class or another arts and crafts activity.
- You can also play truth or dare with your date. If you don’t want to go out, have an evening playing this game.
- It’s fun and it will allow you to learn more about your date. If you don’t like this game, you have the option to play board games and have a fun game night.
- Speaking of fun date ideas in the evening, you can also go to a free concert outdoors. From indie bands, symphonies, and more, you can choose which genre appeals to both of you.
These are some great date ideas which you can try out if you want to have fun. Keep in mind, though, that “fun” may mean different things to different people. Find out what your date considers fun and plan your date around that.
Cheap date ideas
When it comes to thinking of ideas for dates, you don’t have to spend a lot of money. Whether it’s the first date or the hundredth, there are lots of cheap date ideas you can try out.
After all, it’s not about the money you spend on the date. The more important thing is that you spend quality time with the person to make lasting memories. Try these ideas out:
Stay at home and watch some movies together
Before playing movies, you can prepare some snacks in the kitchen. Either that or you can order a pizza or other types of affordable takeout food. You can even binge on Netflix shows together. This can be especially fun if you and your date watch the same television shows.
Search for online exercise videos and do them together
There are a lot of different videos available online. You can do yoga, aerobics, Zumba, and more together. Just load the video and exercise away!
Spend some time outdoors
Spending a morning or an afternoon outdoors is cheap and fun too. You can spend time watching the people pass by or even the local wildlife which hang around the ponds or parks. You can also spend a day at the beach which is always a fun experience.
- Speaking of the local wildlife, you can also spend the day bird watching. This is a great hobby which doesn’t cost anything. That is unless you want to join a bird watching tour. Even then, the price of such activity isn’t that high. But the experience is definitely worthwhile.
- Finally, you can volunteer together. Go to your local soup kitchen or retirement home and help out. Aside from being totally free, this can also be a fulfilling activity for both of you.
There are many ideas you can try out if you don’t have the budget for a classy date. Just because you’re running low on funds, that doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun.
Cute date ideas
There may come a time when your date says “let’s do something cute.” Usually, when a girl says this, the guy doesn’t have any idea what that means. For all the guys out there, cute date ideas are those which are uncommon and… cute!
To help you understand things better, here are some cute date ideas for you to consider:
- Plan a surprise date night for your partner. A lot of happy couples do this once in a while. Surprise your partner with an impromptu date. He/she will surely appreciate the gesture. Your surprise date doesn’t have to be a complex one. Plan a fun but meaningful date which will make your partner happy and your efforts will surely pay off. Have a date during your lunch hour. One huge problem with couples nowadays is that they’re too busy with their work. Of course, this doesn’t have to be the case. Plan a lunch hour date with your significant other and take a break from all the stresses of work.
- Invite your date over for dinner and cook something special. If you love spending time in the kitchen, this can be a great date night idea for you. You can also try cooking something exotic if you frequently cook for your partner. It will be a fun learning experience for you and the effort will surely impress your date too.
- If you’re already in a relationship with your partner, do something more meaningful. As a date, try starting a garden together. You can plan for a cactus garden, a herb garden, a mini fruit tree garden, and more. This is a cute and sweet activity which you can do short-term or long-term.
- Also for more established couples, print out your favorite photos and sort them. This is another cute ideas as you can also use the time to reminisce. You can either place the photos in an album or place them in frames to hang around the house.
- Have a baking date! This is another activity which you’re sure to enjoy. You can bake brownies, cookies, cupcakes or even an entire cake. After this, you can eat the cake together or share it with your loved ones.
- Another cute idea you can try is to spend the afternoon looking for photo booths. There are different kinds of photo booths out there. Look for them and take photos together. This activity can be really fun too. By the end of the date, you’ll have souvenirs to take home and remind you of the time you spent together.
- Try taking a ride on a Ferris wheel together. This is a cute and romantic idea you can try with your date. You can do this in the morning or in the evening too. In fact, this can just be part of your date. It’s even more fun to explore amusement parks which have Ferris wheels. Then you can go on the ride right before ending the night.
- Another cute idea for a date is to go singing or dancing. No matter what age you’re in, singing karaoke is always a fun activity. Whether you’ve been together for a long time or you’re a new couple, this activity will bring you closer. The same thing goes for dancing. Go traditional by taking ballroom dancing classes. You can even take a hip-hop class or something similar if you want to be more modern.
- Have you ever tried meeting for drinks or coffee at one of your local landmarks? This is another idea you can try. No matter where you’re from, there’s bound to be a famous landmark or tourist spot in your area.
As you can see, these cute ideas for dates aren’t difficult to do at all. All you need is a little bit of creativity. Try these ideas out and you’re sure to make your date a lot happier.
Romantic Date Ideas
You may want to ignite, rekindle or keep your romance aflame. No matter what your purpose is, coming up with romantic date ideas is a key.
When it comes to romantic dates, the important thing to keep in mind is how you treat your partner while on the date. The romance comes from the affection you feel towards each other.
It can also manifest in how you are together. So while you’re on the date, pay attention to your partner more. This will help keep your romance alive. Here are some romantic date ideas:
- You can never go wrong with a candlelight dinner. Invite your date to a quiet restaurant with a romantic atmosphere. You can even invite your date over to your home. Arrange your space, cook a meal for your date, and pair it with a good bottle of wine. This will surely inspire romance for you and your partner.
- Go to a comedy club and share some laughs. This may not seem very romantic but you’ll be quite surprised at how intimate it can be.
- As a matter of fact, laughter is an important part of intimacy. It creates a better bond between two people.
- Try getting a couple’s massage. This is another romantic way to get closer to your partner. The sensuous atmosphere and the soothing massage will make you feel more intimate.
- You can also plan a weekend away together. Make your date last for a whole weekend to strengthen your romance. You can go on a ski trip or a simple getaway to a city nearby. The important thing is that you spend quality time together.
- Catch the sunset at a beach. You can hit the beach in the morning and spend the day together. Have fun by doing different activities. Then when the sun starts to set, find a good place to sit and enjoy the magnificent view.
- If you’re not a fan of sunsets, wake up early in the morning to catch the sunrise together. This is another romantic idea to try. Then, after you’ve seen the sunrise, continue the date by having breakfast.
- Another idea for you is to have a five-course dinner at different restaurants. Instead of spending the night at just one place, mix it up. Pick your favorite places and enjoy different courses. This will definitely be a fun and romantic experience for you and your date.
- If you’ve been on a lot of dates already, it may be quite challenging to think of new ideas. So instead, why don’t you try recreating your first date? This is a great way to remember all you’ve been through together. While on the date, you’re sure to reminisce about all the other dates you’ve ever had.
When people think about romantic dates, they usually think of flowers and candlelight. Sure, these are romantic things but there are more ideas out there. Even a baseball game can be a romantic date. The important thing is how you treat each other on the date.
Also, the romance would come from how you feel about each other. Of course, planning a date which involves romantic gestures once in a while is key. Doing this will surely keep the flame of your relationship alive.
Creative date ideas
By now you may already have a lot of ideas in your mind. You may also be very excited to start planning your next date with your significant other. Hold on though because we’re not done yet!
Aside from all the ideas we’ve discussed, you can also come up with creative date ideas. With such ideas, all you need to do is use your imagination. Think of things which your date won’t see coming at all.
You can plan a date that’s creative, adventurous, unexpected and more. These out-of-the-box ideas will surely make your date happier and more excited to be with you. Consider these creative date ideas:
Have you ever tried “glamping?” This is a great type of date for couples who are complete opposites of each other. If one of you loves the outdoors while the other one loves all things elegant, try this activity out.
You can meet in the middle and go glamping or glamorous camping. Go camping outdoors while bringing with you some of the basic creature comforts.
Out for Crafts Date
You can also try having an arts and crafts date. Brainstorm on a project and make it together. You can make a new recipe, a time capsule, a short film, and more.
Find a pet
For animal lovers, why not try rescuing a pet together? This is a great type of date for couples who live together and love animals. Share your love by welcoming a new pet into your home.
Try taking a photo walk
Wander around the city or nature and take photos of the beautiful things you see. It’s a cheap and creative way to bond with your partner. You can also learn new things from each other in terms of how you take photos.
Try Something New
Do something that neither of you has ever done before. This is an excellent experience which the both of you will surely remember. It can be as simple as eating at a new restaurant or as adventurous as riding a helicopter!
Bake a cake
Eat a dinner composed of desserts only. If you both have an affinity for sweets, this is a great date idea for you. Skip the main courses and bake a wonderful cake together.
Just have fun!
Dating is one of the most effective and easiest ways to keep your relationship healthy. Whether it’s your 10th or 100th date, all these will make your relationship stronger.
Dating allows you to nurture your intimacy and learn more about each other. The experiences can also help you communicate better. Going on dates can show your commitment to each other.
Going on dates allows you to create a more meaningful history with your partner. We’ve gone through some excellent date ideas for you to use. But the most important advice we will give you is to just have fun!
Whether you’re on a romantic date or a fun one, enjoy the experience. After all, dates are specifically meant to bring you closer together. Plan carefully before going on a date. But while you’re on the date, don’t forget to enjoy the experience.