Icebreaker questions are some of the most popular icebreaker games. Icebreaker questions are of many different kinds and can be used for any age group. They work well to open an activity, introduce people and topics, and revive a flagging party or movie – in short in almost any and every circumstance and situation. We have divided out list of icebreaker questions into various categories to make locating the perfect set of questions easy. However, many of the questions and categories are interchangeable. You are sure to find a perfect fit of icebreaker questions for your party, meeting, or other occasion.
Table of Contents
- 1 “Have You Ever . . .?” Icebreaker Questions
- 2 What Would You Do? Icebreaker Questions
- 3 “If You Could . . .” Icebreaker Questions
- 4 Icebreaker Questions for Teens
- 5 Conversation Starter Icebreaker Questions
- 6 Superlative Icebreaker Questions (The Best, Worst, First, Last, etc.)
- 7 Fun Icebreaker Questions That Press Your Buttons (And Everyone’s Else’s)
“Have You Ever . . .?” Icebreaker Questions
Have you ever…
- Met a celebrity?
- Planted a vegetable garden?
- Installed a doughboy pool?
- Ridden in a limousine?
- Driven a riding lawn mower?
- Made a trip to a dump?
- Participated in a marathon?
- Owned a water bed?
- Been a member of a sorority or fraternity?
- Participated in a beauty contest?
- Had a dog compete in a dog show?
- Been on a college sports team?
- Played an instrument?
- Won a trophy? What for?
- Locked yourself out of the house?
- Lost a member of the family while out shopping?
- Turned white colors pink (or another color) in the wash?
- Had your zipper break in public?
- Gone somewhere with two different shoes or socks on?
- Dialed a phone number and forgot who you called?
- Put something in the oven to bake and forgot about it?
More of “Have you ever” questions + online game may be found on this page: Have you ever… Questions (Funny, Dirty, Naughty and more)
What Would You Do? Icebreaker Questions
Designed to get the participants to speculate on possible actions, “What Would You Do?” icebreaker questions are fun and can lead to some interesting conversations.
- If you had this week to do over again, what would you do differently?
- What would you do in life if you knew you could not fail?
- What would you do if you did not have to work?
- If you found out you only had two weeks to live, what would you want to do? (Or cross off your bucket list?)
- If you are at a friend or relative’s house for dinner and you find a dead insect in your salad, what would you do?
- If you saw someone being mugged in the street, what would you do?
- What would you do if you did not have to work?
- What would you do if you had a million dollars?
- What is the worst thing your mother-in-law ever did to/for you?
- If you turn into your partner for a day, what would you do?
“If You Could . . .” Icebreaker Questions
A speculative icebreaker game, “If You Could” asks participants to consider options for actions, some fun, some serious, and some designed to let others know more about you. Our list works well when used as an introductory icebreaker and the questions work well for any size group.
If you could . . .
- Choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
- Have 3 wishes granted, what would they be?
- Have an endless supply of any food, what would you get?
- Be an Olympic athlete, what sport would you compete in?
- Be in the movie of your choice, what movie would you choose and what character would you play?
- Be someone else, who would you be?
- Buy a car right now, what would you buy?
- Change anything about yourself, what would you change?
- Do your dream job 10 years from now, what would it be?
- Eat your favorite food now, what would it be?
- Eliminate one thing from your daily schedule, what would it be and why?
- Go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Go back in time and change history, what would you change? Why?
- Go on a road trip with any person (dead or alive), who would you choose and where would you go?
- Have an unlimited storage of one thing, what would it be?
- Have any kind of pet, what would you have?
- Have any question answered, what would it be?
- Invite four famous people to dinner, who would you choose and why?
- Learn any skill, what would it be?
- Live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
- Live in any period of history, when would it be?
- Meet any historical figure, who would you choose and why?
- Replay a fun (or deep or big) moment in your life, what would you choose?
Icebreaker Questions for Teens
A great way to help teens and members of youth groups open up to each other if to ask them fun icebreaker questions that allow them to express their personality or interesting things about themselves. Our icebreaker questions for teens and youth groups work well for any size group at camp, retreats, in classrooms – anytime and place teens gather.
- What was a time when you got into big trouble with your parents?
- What is the naughtiest thing you have done in school?
- What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?
- If you were to change your name, what would you change your name to? Why?
- Do you have any siblings? What are they like?
- Does your name have a special meaning and or were you named after someone special?
- Would you rather kiss a jelly fish or step on a crab?
- Would you rather be 3 feet tall or 8 feet tall? why?
- Would you rather be born with an elephant trunk or a giraffe neck?
- Would you rather be missing a finger or have an extra toe?
Conversation Starter Icebreaker Questions
When you have a group that seems to have trouble starting to mix and mingle, our conversation starter icebreaker questions can get the group communication effectively. A good way to use these is to pass a question out to each participant and have them ask a person their question. The person whom they ask a question of must ask someone else their question.
- As a child, what did you wish to become when you grew up? (A good conversation starter indeed!)
- If you were sent to live on a space station for three months and only allowed to bring three personal items with you, what would they be?
- What are one truth and one lie about your personality? Let the others guess which is what?
- What book, movie or video have you seen/read recently you would recommend? Why?
- What is the most bizarre encounter you have had in life (at work, personal, from travel, with friends)?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
Superlative Icebreaker Questions (The Best, Worst, First, Last, etc.)
Nothing tells more about a person than the superlatives in their life. What they consider the most important, best, least, oldest, worst, and newest tells a great deal about them. Use our superlative icebreaker questions to find out just how much!
- How old is the oldest pair of shoes in your closet?
- What is the best gift you ever received?
- What is the hardest thing you have ever done?
- What do you do first thing in the morning?
- What do you think is the greatest invention in your lifetime and why?
- What is your least favorite sport to play/watch?
- What is the funniest pick up line used on you?
- What is the funniest prank ever played on you?
- What was the best museum/gig/play/game you have ever been to?
- What was the most terrifying situation you have ever been in?
- What was the worst thing you ever had to wear to school?
- What was the worst/weirdest haircut you have ever had?
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
- What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen in nature?
- What is the kindest thing that someone has ever done for you?
- What is your funniest family story?
- What two words best describe you?
- What is the best compliment you have ever received?
Fun Icebreaker Questions That Press Your Buttons (And Everyone’s Else’s)
Some icebreaker questions cause a reaction, from the person asking, the person answering, and the people listening to the answers. The following questions will definitely get a reaction. Be prepared for some surprises!
- Which bad habits of other people drive you crazy?
- Which body part would you choose to get a tattoo done?
- If you were running for office what would your campaign slogan be?
- Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances?
- What are three words that describe the most perfect kiss you have had?
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you dream about at night?
- What is a weird habit that you have?
- What is the first thing you notice about someone when you first meet?
- What is the most unusual thing in your wallet, pocket, or purse right at this moment?
- What is your pet peeve in traffic?
- What three things do you love about your friends? And three you could do without?
- What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
- What is the one thing, you can’t live without?
- If you were the Miss World, what would your message for aspiring models be?
- What is your idea for de-stressing?
- If you were a superhero, what would your super-name be? What would your superpower be?
- If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it?
- What compliment do people give you the most?
Icebreaker questions are one of the most popular types of icebreakers. We are sure you found what you need in one of our many lists. Enjoy!
Susan majored in English with a double minor in Humanities and Business at Arizona State University and earned a Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Liberty University. She taught grades four through twelve in both public and private schools. Subjects included English, U.S. and world history and geography, math, earth and physical science, Bible, information technologies, and creative writing.
Susan has been freelance writing for over ten years, during which time she has written and edited books, newspaper articles, biographies, book reviews, guidelines, neighborhood descriptions for realtors, Power Point presentations, resumes, and numerous other projects.