Icebreaker questions are some of the most popular icebreaker games. Icebreaker questions are of many different kinds and can be used for any age group. They work well to open an activity, introduce people and topics, and revive a flagging party or movie – in short in almost any and every circumstance and situation. We have divided out list of icebreaker questions into various categories to make locating the perfect set of questions easy. However, many of the questions and categories are interchangeable. You are sure to find a perfect fit of icebreaker questions for your party, meeting, or other occasion.
Tips for using icebreaker questions:
- Use icebreaker questions at the beginning of a get-together to help everyone to relax.
- Write out or print your icebreaker questions onto strips of paper and shuffle them.
- Throw dice and have the one who rolls the highest number ask everyone a question.
- Make sure everyone gets a turn.
Table of Contents
- 1 Silly Icebreaker Questions
- 2 Icebreaker Questions for Vacations
- 3 Icebreaker Questions for Meetings
- 4 “If You Could . . .” Icebreaker Questions
- 5 “Have You Ever . . .?” Icebreaker Questions
- 6 “Would You Rather..?” Icebreaker Questions
- 7 Holiday Icebreaker Questions
- 8 Spiritual Icebreaker Questions
- 9 Icebreaker Questions for Teens and Youth Groups
- 10 What Would You Do? Icebreaker Questions
- 11 Conversation Starter Icebreaker Questions
- 12 Hobby Related Icebreaker Questions
- 13 Present Experience Icebreaker Questions
- 14 Past Experience Icebreaker Questions
- 15 Personal Preference Icebreaker Questions
- 16 Fun Icebreaker Questions That Press Your Buttons (And Everyone’s Else’s)
- 17 Icebreaker Questions Focusing On Your Life Philosophy
- 18 Getting-to-Know-You Icebreaker Questions
- 19 Superlative Icebreaker Questions (The Best, Worst, First, Last, etc.)
Silly Icebreaker Questions
Sometimes you need to create a relaxed environment, and sometimes you need to get downright silly. Adding a little humor can lighten the mood, ease anxieties, and incite willingness to share. Even if there’s not time for a game, a few quick and funny icebreaker questions might be just to the type of icebreaker to kick things off. The following questions are sure to get laughs and prepare your participants for other activities.
- If there’s an exception to every rule, is there an exception to that rule?
- Why do dogs like the smell of other dogs’ butts?
- How much deeper do you think the ocean would be if sponges didn’t grow in it?
- How far east can you go before you’re heading west?
- Can a short person “talk down” to a taller person?
- Would you rather be a giant rodent or a tiny elephant?
Icebreaker Questions for Vacations
When you are on a vacation, it is fun to talk to interesting people and get their perspectives. It helps to have questions that will help break the ice and start a conversation. Vacation icebreaker questions help you not talk about yourself too much.
- How long of a consecutive time have you spent in a car?
- What is the name of an exotic country that you would like to go to for a vacation?
- What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten on a vacation?
- What is your favorite activity to do on vacation?
- What is your pet peeve when you are on vacation?
- How did you end up picking this vacation spot?
- What is the best meal you have ever had on vacation?
Icebreaker Questions for Meetings
Meetings are often composed of people who do not know one another. Even if they do, the tensions of the workplace can interfere with co-workers working and communicating effectively. Our icebreaker questions for meetings will help those attending relax and prepare for you to share objectives, update statuses, and create a collaborative environment. You do not need to use all of these questions; choose the ones best for your group of employees.
- Why are you here today? (Use this question to invite all kinds of funny, witty answers.)
- What was the best job you have ever had?
- What was the worst job you have ever had?
- What one word describes your computer ability?
- What would be your dream job?
- What is the hardest thing you have ever done?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
More icebreaker questions and games for meetings can be found in this article.
“If You Could . . .” Icebreaker Questions
A speculative icebreaker game, “If You Could” asks participants to consider options for actions, some fun, some serious, and some designed to let others know more about you. Our list works well when used as an introductory icebreaker and the questions work well for any size group.
If you could . . .
- Choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
- Have 3 wishes granted, what would they be?
- Have an endless supply of any food, what would you get?
- Ask Christ to change one problem in the world today, what would you like him to change?
- Be an Olympic athlete, what sport would you compete in?
- Be in the movie of your choice, what movie would you choose and what character would you play?
- Be someone else, who would you be?
“Have You Ever . . .?” Icebreaker Questions
An icebreaker game that requires you to recall your past, these icebreaker questions ask participants about activities and events in their lives. From vacation memories, through life’s vacations, jobs, and relationships, these “have you ever” questions are sure to challenge and stimulate your group of participants.
Have you ever…
- Gone to Europe?
- Rode on a motorcycle?
- Lived in another state?
- Met a celebrity?
- Been to Disney World?
- Done a “For Sale by Owner” house?
- Planted a vegetable garden?
- Been a car salesperson?
More of “Have you ever” questions + online game may be found on this page: Have you ever… Questions (Funny, Dirty, Naughty and more)
“Would You Rather..?” Icebreaker Questions
“Would you rather . . .” icebreaker questions range from the silly to the serious. They are suitable for almost any occasion and work well with any age. We have divided our list to be used for different ages to make it easier for you to choose appropriate questions. However, check out our lists, as you may find some that work across different age groups.
- Visit the doctor or the dentist?
- Eat broccoli or carrots?
- Be a giant rodent or a tiny elephant?
- Watch TV or listen to music?
- Own a lizard or a snake?
- Have a beach holiday or a mountain holiday?
- Be an apple or a banana?
- Be invisible or be able to read minds?
- Be hairy all over or completely bald?
- Be the most popular or the smartest person you know?
- Make headlines for saving somebody’s life or winning a Nobel Prize?
- Go without television or fast food for the rest of your life?
- Have permanent diarrhea or permanent constipation?
- Be handsome/beautiful and dumb or be ugly and really smart?
- Always be cold or always be hot?
- Not hear or not see?
- Eliminate hunger and disease or be able to bring lasting world peace?
- Be stranded on a deserted island alone or with someone you don’t like?
- See the future or change the past?
- Be three inches taller or three inches shorter?
- Wrestle a lion or fight a shark?
- Skip Christmas for a year, or skip your birthday for a year?
- Do laundry for one week, or wash the car for one month?
- Live under water and swim with the fish, or be able to travel through space and touch the stars?
- Swim in a pool filled with Kool-Aid, or go ice skating on a mountain of frozen lemonade?
- Have magical powers to save the world, or be the strongest person in the world?
- Never be grounded, or have the option to stay up as long as you like?
- Have a dinosaur or a blue whale for a pet?
- Have a real Transformers car, or have a space shuttle in your backyard?
- Have 500 tarantulas crawling in your house or 1000 crickets jumping around your room?
- Like to live in Disney World or Sea World?
- Be forced to tell your parents the truth or lie to your best friend?
- Drink a glass full of liquid soap or eat 2 spoons of soap?
- Not watch television or not eat junk food for a month?
- Attend school at Hogwarts or live in Narnia?
- Have many acquaintances and no friends, or have only one or two close friends?
- Eat 2 rotten, squishy tomatoes, or eat a small can of dog food?
- Be the captain of a sports’ team or be the school genius?
- Live without your computer or your television for the rest of your life?
- Rather be able to fly whenever you want or be invisible?
- Eat only vanilla-flavored ice cream for an entire summer, or eat any flavor, but for only a week of summer?
- Win a million dollars in lottery or never have to pay for anything ever again?
- Fly all over the world with your favorite celebrity or be marooned on an island with the one you love?
- Become a popular celebrity whom everyone hates or be a normal person whom everyone loves?
- Go about your normal day naked or have smelly breath and body odor for the whole day?
- Get noticed by the hottest chick at a party or have rock-hard abs?
- Be bitten by a radioactive spider or a vampire?
- Kiss a jellyfish or step on a crab?
- Have a beautiful house and an ugly car or an ugly house and a beautiful car?
- Be invisible or be able to read minds?
- Save a damsel in distress or take a pot full of gold?
- Wake up with a different face with the same gender, or a different gender with the same face?
- Be remembered with hatred or forgotten altogether?
- Age from the neck up only or the neck down only?
- Have a very droopy eye or a lisp?
- Eat anything and never get fat or read people’s mind?
- Tell that special someone you love them and risk losing them or never tell them how you feel and suffer inside?
- Have 3 wishes in 10 years or 1 wish today?
- Visit the world 100 years into the past or 100 years into the future?
- Never have sex or never find true love?
- Find true love or win 10 million dollars?
- Be rich and ugly or poor and beautiful?
- Get caught dancing naked in front of the mirror or sticking your booger under the table?
- Be chased by angry bulls or hungry sharks?
- Get locked inside an amusement park with a celebrity or your girlfriend/boyfriend?
- Publish your diary or make a movie based on your most embarrassing moment?
- Be with someone who has lots of money or a good heart?
- Get married to the love of your life or be the richest person in the world?
- Stay up all night to babysit a crying baby or an irritating family member?
- Jump off a cliff without a parachute or go deep sea diving without oxygen?
- Stand in the rain to serenade a girl/guy or get drunk and hookup with the hottest girl/guy?
- Dress in designer clothes for a month or get kissed by the hottest girl/guy?
- Get everything you have ever asked for (material things) or find the love of your life?
- Play video games/go shopping or hangout with your friends?
- Save the world from an alien invasion or a meteor?
- Be a character in the movies ‘the hangover’ or ‘the holiday’?
- Live around a noisy neighbor or a nosy neighbor?
- Date someone who is 10 years younger than you or someone who is 10 years older?
- Marry someone who your parents choose for you or spend the rest of your life single?
- Not have sex for a year and then have great sex or have horrible sex for a full year?
More questions here: 250+ Funny Would You Rather Questions for Kids, Teens and Adults
Holiday Icebreaker Questions
Icebreaker Questions for Christmas
- What is the first thing you do on Christmas Day?
- Where do you go shopping for Christmas?
- What is a Christmas tradition your family participates in?
- What is your favorite Christmas activity?
- What is your favorite Christmas food?
- What was your favorite Christmas present of all time?
- What is your favorite Christmas carol?
- What was the coolest gift you ever gave someone?
- What was the coolest gift you ever received?
- What does Christmas mean to you?
- What is your favorite kind of Christmas candy?
- What is your favorite Christmas cookie?
- Are you traveling for Christmas? If so, where to?
- What Christmas movie do you watch every year?
Check out our article Christmas Party Games and Icebreakers for Adults.
Icebreaker Questions for Other Holidays
- What was your favorite Halloween costume?
- What is your favorite holiday? What do you enjoy about it?
- What New Year’s resolution you made in the past were you actually able to keep?
- What was the best fireworks show you ever saw or experienced?
- Did you ever celebrate May Day? How?
More information my be found in Party Icebreakers and Group Games article.
Spiritual Icebreaker Questions
Church groups, retreats, woman’s groups, and teen devotionals are all ideal places to use our spiritual icebreaker questions. Some are philosophical, some serious, some fun, and some help you learn to know more about yourself and others. You are sure to find the perfect icebreaker questions to meet the spiritual needs of your class or group.
- Besides God, who has influenced you the most?
- Do you feel you have a purpose or calling in life?
- If you ever met God, what would you ask for?
- If you sat down next to Jesus on a bus, what would you talk about?
- When did God become real to you?
- What is your most fervent prayer?
- What Biblical character inspires you the most? (excluding Jesus) Why?
- What is Satan’s last name?
- What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about God?
- What is your favorite Bible verse (or “one” of your favorites) and what does it mean to you?
- What is your favorite worship chorus/hymn?
Icebreaker Questions for Teens and Youth Groups
A great way to help teens and members of youth groups open up to each other if to ask them fun icebreaker questions that allow them to express their personality or interesting things about themselves. Our icebreaker questions for teens and youth groups work well for any size group at camp, retreats, in classrooms – anytime and place teens gather.
- What was a time when you got into big trouble with your parents?
- What do you do to have fun?
- What is the naughtiest thing you have done in school?
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
- What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?
- If you were an ice cream flavor, which one would you be and why?
What Would You Do? Icebreaker Questions
Designed to get the participants to speculate on possible actions, “What Would You Do?” icebreaker questions are fun and can lead to some interesting conversations.
- If you had this week to do over again, what would you do differently?
- What would you do in life if you knew you could not fail?
- What would you do if you did not have to work?
- If you found out you only had two weeks to live, what would you want to do? (Or cross off your bucket list?)
- If you are at a friend or relative’s house for dinner and you find a dead insect in your salad, what would you do?
- If you saw someone being mugged in the street, what would you do?
Conversation Starter Icebreaker Questions
When you have a group that seems to have trouble starting to mix and mingle, our conversation starter icebreaker questions can get the group communication effectively. A good way to use these is to pass a question out to each participant and have them ask a person their question. The person whom they ask a question of must ask someone else their question.
- As a child, what did you wish to become when you grew up? (A good conversation starter indeed!)
- If you were sent to live on a space station for three months and only allowed to bring three personal items with you, what would they be?
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you want to have with you?
- What are one truth and one lie about your personality? Let the others guess which is what?
- What book, movie or video have you seen/read recently you would recommend? Why?
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Would you rather be stranded on an island alone or with someone you absolutely hate? Why?
- You wouldn’t be caught dead, where?
- What is the most bizarre encounter you have had in life (at work, personal, from travel, with friends)?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- If you had a time machine that would work only once, what point in the future or in history would you visit? Why?
Hobby Related Icebreaker Questions
These icebreaker questions focus on things people enjoy doing. You can use them as conversation starters, as get-to-know-you icebreakers, or simply to find out how you and your friends spend spare time.
- What is your favorite hobby?
- What outdoor activities do you like to do?
- What is one favorite thing you do by yourself?
- What is your favorite sport or physical activity?
- What crazy activities do you dream of trying someday?
- What is your idea of fun?
- What two things do you consider yourself to be very good at?
- What two things do you consider yourself to be very bad at?
- If money and time was no object, what would you be doing right now?
- What is something you hate doing? Why?
- What is something you love doing? Why
- What is a hidden talent you have?
- What was one new experience you tried that was completely unknown or uncomfortable to you at the time you tried it?
- What is your hidden talent?
Another good method for getting to know others is to find out about experiences past and present. The following two categories are both fun and interesting.
Present Experience Icebreaker Questions
- Are you a morning person or a night person? Why?
- Are you sunrise, daylight, twilight, or night? Please share why you picked your time of day?
- How do you like to spend a rainy day?
- Why do you like living in this area?
- Do you believe in extraterrestrials or life on other planets?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Do you have any hidden talents?
- Do you have any phobias?
- Do you have any relatives in jail?
- Do you like pickles? Why or why not?
- Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
- Do you like coffee or tea?
- What did you enjoy most about school?
- What is your morning ritual like?
Past Experience Icebreaker Questions
- Of all the places you have lived/visited, what was the one you like the best? Why?
- What was one new experience you tried that, at the time, was completely unknown or uncomfortable to you?
- What was the best compliment you received?
- Who was your childhood hero? why?
- Who was your enemy or the bully when you were young?
- Who was your favorite grade school/high teacher?
- Who was your favorite music group in high school?
Personal Preference Icebreaker Questions
You can tell a great deal about people by knowing their personal preferences. The following icebreaker questions provide that type of information.
- Do you prefer candy or ice cream?
- If given a chance, which person would you like to be for a day? Or who would you like to exchange roles with?
- If money were no object what would your dream home look like?
- If money were no object where would you shop for clothes?
- If money were no object would you prefer domestic help or would you cook and clean yourself?
- What are the names of three exotic countries you would like to visit?
- What is the one thing you would really like to own? Why?
Fun Icebreaker Questions That Press Your Buttons (And Everyone’s Else’s)
Some icebreaker questions cause a reaction, from the person asking, the person answering, and the people listening to the answers. The following questions will definitely get a reaction. Be prepared for some surprises!
- If you could get away with it, what family member would you kill off and why?
- Which bad habits of other people drive you crazy?
- Which body part would you choose to get a tattoo done?
- Were you ever drunk?
- What is your pet peeve?
- Which song reminds you of an ex and why?
- How can you tell if someone is a nerd?
Icebreaker Questions Focusing On Your Life Philosophy
There are times for serious discussions and getting to know one another on a deeper level. Our icebreaker questions designed to focus on one’s philosophy of life are perfect for such times.
- Can you share one quote or saying you love, that keeps you going in life?
- Food for soul or music for soul? Why?
- If you could go back in time and change history, what would you change? Why?
- If you had one day to live over again, what day would you pick?
- If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, what three things would you do in the time you had left?
- If you woke up as (name any famous personality), what is the first thing you would do?
- If you were mayor for the day, what three things would you change about your city?
Getting-to-Know-You Icebreaker Questions
All icebreaker questions serve the purpose of informing, but the following getting-to-know-you icebreaker questions are specifically designed to help others know the fun, fantastic, and frequently surprising you!
- What is the one movie that you can quote the most? How much of it can you quote?
- Have you been told you look like someone famous?
- Have you purchased a burial plot?
- How are you like your mom? Your dad?
- If I gave you $10,000, what would you spend it on?
- If someone made a movie of your life would it be a drama, a comedy, a romantic-comedy, action film, or science fiction?
- If they made a movie of your life, what would it be about, and which actor would you want to play you?
Superlative Icebreaker Questions (The Best, Worst, First, Last, etc.)
Nothing tells more about a person than the superlatives in their life. What they consider the most important, best, least, oldest, worst, and newest tells a great deal about them. Use our superlative icebreaker questions to find out just how much!
- How old is the oldest pair of shoes in your closet?
- What is the best gift you ever received?
- What is the best gift your hubby (or someone) ever gave you?
- What is the best thing your mother-in-law ever did to/for you?
- What is the hardest thing you have ever done?
- Weirdest thing you have ever eaten?
- What do you do first thing in the morning?
Icebreaker questions are one of the most popular types of icebreakers. We are sure you found what you need in one of our many lists. Enjoy!
Last Updated on