You may believe you are smart enough not to be tricked. However, trick questions can stump anyone. Common sense and experience will not help you answer these tricky questions. Even though some of the answers are logical or rely on common sense, your first thought is quite often incorrect. Some trick questions are funny, some are a play on words, and some involve looking at things differently. Try your hand at answering all of our trick questions and share them with friends.
Table of Contents
The following list of clever, tricky questions will have you and your friends scratching your heads and wondering just how intelligent you are. They are fun to use at a party, with your colleagues at work, or in a classroom. Teachers, camp counselors, and entertainers will love our list of tricky questions.
- Question: What is always coming, but never arrives?
- Question: What can be broken, but is never held?
- Question: What is it that lives if it is fed, and dies if you give it a drink?
- Question: What word would you use to describe a man who does not have all his fingers on one hand?
- Question: What can one catch that is not thrown?
- Question: What is it that if you have, you want to share me, and if you share, you do not have?
- Question: If a plane crashes on the border between the United States and Canada, where do they bury the survivors?
- Question: If it takes eight men ten hours to build a wall, how long would it take four men?
- Question: If you have a bowl with six apples and you take away four, how many do you have?
- Question: If you had only one match and entered a dark room containing an oil lamp, some kindling wood, and a newspaper, which would you light first?
- Question: If you spell “sit in the tub” s-o-a-k, and you spell “a funny story” j-o-k-e, how do you spell “the white of an egg”?
- Question: Is it legal for a man to marry his widow’s sister?
- Question: If Mrs. John’s bungalow is decorated completely in pink, with the walls, carpet, and furniture all shades of pink, what color are the stairs?
- Question: How did the boy kick his soccer ball ten feet, and then have it come back to him on its own?
- Question: How could a man go outside in the pouring rain without protection, and not have a hair on his head get wet?
- Question: If an electric train is moving north at 100mph and a wind is blowing to the west at 10mph, which way does the smoke blow?
- Question: How was it possible that every single person in an airplane crash died, but two people survived?
- Question: What breaks and never falls, and what falls and never breaks?
- Question: Some months have 31 days, others have 30 days, but how many have 28 days?
- Question: “The attorney is my brother,” testified the accountant. But the attorney testified he did not have a brother. Who is lying?
- Question: Uncle Bill’s farm had a terrible storm and all but seven sheep were killed. How many sheep are still alive?
- Question: What do you call a woman who knows where her husband is all the time?
- Question: What do you sit on, sleep on, and brush your teeth with?
- Question: What goes up and down, but always remains in the same place?
- Question: What is it that goes up, but never comes down?
- Question: What happened when the wheel was invented?
- Question: What has a head, a tail, but does not have a body?
- Question: Who is bigger, Mr. Bigger, Mrs. Bigger, or their baby?
- Question: Of you sit a cup on the table facing south while you are on the north side of the table, on which side is the cup’s handle?
Mind Trick Questions
Hard questions to answer provide a challenge for even the most intelligent individual. You must take your time, read the questions carefully, and think before attempting an answer. Be careful, because your first guess may not be correct on these mind trick questions.
- Question: A man lives on the 100th floor of an apartment building. On rainy days he rides the elevator all the way up. However, on sunny days, he goes half way and takes the stairs the rest of the way. Why?
- Question: A man and his son were in an automobile accident. The man died on the way to the hospital, but the boy was rushed into surgery. The emergency room surgeon said, “I cannot operate, because that is my son!” How was this possible?
- Question: A man dressed in all black is walking down a country lane. Suddenly, a large black car with no lights on comes around the corner and screeches to a halt. How did the car’s driver know he was there?
- Question: Robert, my neighbor, a forty-five-year-old blacksmith is seven feet tall, and eats all day long. What does he weigh?
- Question: Complete this series of numbers: 9 = 4, 21 = 9, 22 = 9, 24 = 10, 8 = 5, 7 = 5, 99 = 10, 100 = 7, 16 =?, 17 =?
- Question: There are three important rooms in a house. The first one is filled with money. The second one is filled with important papers. The third one is filled with jewelry. One day all of these rooms burst into fire. Which room did the policemen put out the fire in first?
- Question: Why are 1968 pennies worth more than 1967 pennies?
- Question: A man has a fox, a chicken, and a sack of grain. He must cross a river, but cannot carry all of them at once. If he leaves the fox with the chicken, the fox will eat the chicken. However, if he leaves the chicken with the grain, the chicken will eat the grain. How can he get all three across safely?
- Questions: There are eight men sitting on a couch. Three legs break and six men leave. How many legs are remaining?
- Question: You are driving a bus. When you begin your route, there is an old woman named Mrs. Smith and a young boy named Raymond are on the bus. At the first stop, the old woman leaves, and a salesman, named Ed, enters. At the next stop, Jack and his sister Jill get on, as well as three women with shopping bags. The bus travels fifteen minutes, then stops and Raymond gets off and a man and his wife get on. Next, a woman with a bird in a cage gets on the bus. What is the name of the bus driver?
- Question: What is the maximum number of times a single page of a newspaper can be folded in half by hand?
- Question: A fishing boat, with a ladder in it, is leaning against a wall at the harbor. There are 5 oars and 2 fishing nets in the trawler. The distance between two consecutive steps on the ladder is 1 meter. If waves lashing against the wall rise a half meter in every half hour, how long will it take before 6 steps of the ladder are under the waves?
- Question: You ask the sales associate in a hardware store, “How much will one cost?””Twenty cents,” she replies.”And how much will twelve cost me?” you ask.”Forty cents,” she replies.”OK, I’ll take one hundred and twelve.”How much did you pay?
- Question: On a Sunday morning, the oldest girl in a family was murdered. The father was reading the paper, the mother was in the kitchen cooking breakfast, and the girl’s brother was playing video games. Uncle George was visiting and was out getting the mail. Who murdered the girl?
- Question: If you divide 30 by half and add ten, what do you get?
Funny Trick Questions
Some trick questions provide laughs because they are so silly. Kids especially will love our funny trick questions. We have included a few old favorites to help kids feel smart. Ask your friends these funny questions or try to answer them yourself. Don’t peek at the answers until you give each question your best guess.
- Question: What did one campfire say to the other?
- Question: Why can’t a woman living in the Europe be buried in Canada?
- Question: Why are movie stars considered cool?
- Question: What is white and black, but red all over?
- Question: What is the biggest problem with snow boots?
- Question: Why do fluorescent lights hum?
- Question: What becomes wetter the more it dries?
- Question: What did the ocean say to the beach?
- Question: Where is an ocean with no water?
- Question: What type hair does an ocean have?
- Question: Why did the clown visit the doctor?
- Question: What is sticky and brown?
- Question: What happens if you throw a white hat into the Black Sea?
- Question: What provides the strength and power to walk through walls?
- Question: Why did Superman cross the road?
- Question: Which nail does a carpenter try to miss?
- Question: What do you always see at the beginning of a parade?
- Question: What do snowmen eat for breakfast?
- Question: What happened to the human cannonball?
- Question: Which room has no walls?
- Question: How can a woman go eight days without sleep?
- Question: How can you drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor and not crack it?
- Question: How can you lift an elephant with one hand?
- Question: If two waves have a race, who wins?
- Question: Why did the cowboy ride his mule into town?
- Question: What goes up and down, but never moves?
- Question: What happened to the lion when he ate the clown?
- Question: If a rooster lays an egg on top of the barn roof, which way will it roll?
- Question: How many animals did Moses take into the ark?
- Question: How many legs does an elephant have if you count his trunk as a leg?
- Question: How much dirt is there in a hole that is 3 feet deep, 6 feet long, and 4 feet wide?
- Question: What did the quilt say to the bed?
- Question: Why did the woman run around her bed at night?
- Question: What can you never eat for breakfast?
- Question: What has 4 wheels and flies?
- Question: How many sides does a circle have?
- Question: If you imagine you are in a sinking rowboat surrounded by sharks, how would you survive?
- Question: If ten birds are sitting in a tree and a hunter shoots one, how birds many are left in the tree?
- Question: If a monkey, a squirrel, and a bird are racing to the top of a coconut tree, who will get the banana first?
- Question: What two words, when combined, hold the most letters?
Trick Questions with Answers
Trick questions entertain and inform. Use our selection for parties, game nights – any time you get together with friends or co-workers. Some of the cleverest trick questions involve plays on words, and we have quite a few included in this list. You will find 30 questions, followed by a list of answers. How many can you answer correctly?
- How can a door be not a door?
- What word starts with IS, ends with AND, and has LA in the middle?
- Why do you always find a mushroom at a party?
- Do you want to hear a joke about potassium?
- Do you know any good jokes about sodium?
- What should one do with a dead chemist?
- What’s a great name for a lawyer?
- What do you call a man in a hole?
- Which is the fastest country in the world?
- What do you get if you throw a million books into the ocean?
- What is the coldest country in the world?
- Why did the house go to the doctor?
- On which roads do ghosts linger?
- What do you call a woman standing on a tennis court?
- What is round and extremely violent?
- What happened to the tiny fortuneteller that escaped from jail?
- What is green and sings?
- What happened when the magician got angry?
- What common eleven-letter word is always spelled incorrectly?
- What did the person who invented the door-knocker win?
- What happened to the woman who fell into the upholstery machine?
- Did you hear what happened to the origami store?
- Why did the banker quit his job?
- What do you find in the middle of nowhere?
- Why was everyone so tired on the April first?
- What did one commode say to the other commode?
- A neutron walks into a café, orders breakfast, and asks the waiter, “How much will that be?”
- What is it that stands up, but grows down?
- A photon checks into a hotel. What is her reply when she is asked if she needs any help with her luggage?
- If George’s father has four children – Eenie, Meenie, Miney – what is the name of his fourth child?
- When it is a jar. (ajar = “open”)
- Because he is a fungi (“fun guy”).
- K! (K is the symbol for potassium.)
- Na! (Na is the symbol for sodium.)
- Barium (“Bury him”)
- Doug (“dug”)
- Russia (“rush ya”)
- A title wave
- Because it had a window pane (“pain”).
- Dead ends
- Annette (“a net)
- A vicious circle
- He was a small medium at large.
- Elvis Parsley
- He pulled his hare (“hair”) out.
- The no-bell (“Nobel”) prize
- She was fully recovered.
- It folded.
- He lost interest.
- The letter H
- Because they just completed a March of 31 days.
- You look flushed.
- The waiter replies, “For you? No charge!”
- A candle
- No thank you, I am traveling light.
Trick questions stimulate the brain and provide fun. They help fill the time and provide relaxation. Additionally, they give your brain a workout! All ages love them. Use trick questions and brain teasers for bonding between employees in your office, avoiding boredom, and to challenge your friends. Have fun with our tricky questions!
Susan majored in English with a double minor in Humanities and Business at Arizona State University and earned a Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Liberty University. She taught grades four through twelve in both public and private schools. Subjects included English, U.S. and world history and geography, math, earth and physical science, Bible, information technologies, and creative writing.
Susan has been freelance writing for over ten years, during which time she has written and edited books, newspaper articles, biographies, book reviews, guidelines, neighborhood descriptions for realtors, Power Point presentations, resumes, and numerous other projects.
very very good
Excellent stuff, thanks a lot man.
THANKS! I tricked TWO of my friends at school!
So who did the right thing among John, Mike, and Sarry?
John, Mike, and Sarry were doing their homework together, and there was a quite difficult math problem. Then they all provided their own solutions.
“I did it wrong.” John said.
Mike said, “John is right.”
“I did it wrong.” Sarry said.
Bob saw their answers and listened to their comments and said, “One of you did the right thing, and one of you said the right thing.”
answer this:What can be placed in a freezer for thousand years without getting cold?
Maybe a fire
It is nice questions
This was hilarious to do on family
It’s helpful for time pass
Nice and funny
This is so cool😮
Plz anyone answer this question i cant sve it plz plz : Once a freind needs Rs 500 no 1 freind gave Rs 250 and no 2 freind gave him 250 total becomes 500 he bought a phone of Rs 450 amd there remains Rs 50 he gave Rs 30 to no 3 freind and remains Rs20 which he gave Rs 10 to no 1 freind and Rs 10 to no 2 freind now he has to give no 1 freind Rs 240 and no 2 freind Rs 240 total becomes 480 and the no 3 freind has to give him Rs 30 .Now total becomes 510.Now the question is how did he get Rs 10 becoz he only got Rs 500 in total?
I love this website it is fun interesting and fun to play with my fam we laugh a lot
These are so cool!
That was a lot of fun!