A hypothetical question is not based upon reality, but upon opinion, conjecture, supposition, or personal belief. Frequently the answer is unexpected and original. Answering a hypothetical question often takes some creative thinking.
Table of Contents
Hypothetical questions can take several different forms. In this article, we begin with one of the most common hypothetical queries – “What would you do?” questions. Next, we have some funny hypothetical questions, followed by some weird ones. The last section presents some Scenario Game Questions, those that are story based and fun to pose in a group at a party or other gathering.
“What Would You Do?” Questions
It is fun to speculate what one would do in various situations. We have created a list designed to spark your imagination and provide some fun. Take some time to ponder your response before you answer. Remember that there is no right or wrong answer; you must be purely subjective. These questions are fun to share with friends and work well as ice-breakers at parties and other get-togethers.
- What would you do if you had only 24 hours to live?
- What would you do if you found out you could stop time?
- What would you do if you were rich?
- What would you do if you were the ruler of a country for a day?
- What would you do if you were swimming and lost your bathing suit?
- What would you do if you were suddenly poor and homeless?
- What would you do if you found a bag containing a large amount of cash?
- What would you do with the extra time if you had 25-hour days (while everyone else continued to have 24-hour days)?
- What would you do if you won a lottery?
- What would you do if you were kidnapped?
- What would you do if your cell phone fell in the toilet?
- What would you do if you went to a public restroom and discovered that there was no paper?
- What would you do if you were walking in the forest and saw a wolf?
- What would you do if you found out the world was ending?
- What would you do if money didn’t matter?
- What would you do if you woke up in the morning and found out you were six years old again?
- What would you do if you were all of a sudden invisible?
- What would you do if you were at home alone at night and heard someone in your house?
- What would you do if you saw someone in public with toilet paper stuck to their shoe?
- What would you do if you knew that you would go blind in two months?
- What would you do if you had two weeks free to do anything you wanted?
- What would you do if you found out you had a brother or sister you had never met?
- What would you do if you found out your boss was embezzling company funds?
- What would you do if you were given the chance to go into outer space?
- What would you do if you were told you could never leave your house?
- What would you do if you had the opportunity to have any wish granted?
- What would you do if you found out someone from your past was planning to kill you?
- What would you do if you could see into the future?
- What would you do if you began to have uncontrollable bouts of crying or anger?
- What would you do if you found out you could talk to animals?
- What would you do if you had to choose between wealth and fame?
Funny Hypothetical Questions
If you want to learn more about your friends or just have some fun, these funny hypothetical questions can help. Funny hypothetical questions are an excellent way to find out what a person believes and what motivates them in life. At the very least, they can be an interesting way to pass the time.
- If time machines existed, what would be the first thing you would do?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what food would it be?
- If you could only view one website for the rest of your life, what would it be? Why?
- If you were a character in any book, who would it be and why?
- If you were a fruit, what fruit would you be and why?
- If you were an animal, which animal would you be?
- If your house had a theme song, what would it be?
- If it turned out that your entire life was is only a dream, would you want to know?
- If you had to live with it always being nighttime or daytime, which would you choose and why?
- Would you rather be dumb or ugly?
- If you had to choose, would you rather give up your sight or your hearing?
- If Jurassic Park was a real place, would you want to visit?
- If only one book existed, which book would you like it to be?
- If you could be another person for a day, who would you choose to be?
- If you could hear what someone is thinking for a day, which person’s thoughts would you want to hear?
- If you could meet any famous person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- If you had to disappear, how would you do so and where would you go?
- If you could do any job, what would you like to do?
- If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, which song would you choose?
- If you had a time machine, what time period would you like to visit and why?
- If you could be granted one wish, what would it be?
- If you had to live your life experiencing only one season, would you choose – spring, summer, fall, or winter?
- If you had to be stuck living in a TV show for a month, what show would you pick and why? What character would you be?
- If you could read minds, would you want to and how would you use the ability?
- Which would you rather see become an Olympic sport, hide-and-seek, tug-of-war, or tag?
- If you were really a robot, would you want to know?
Weird Hypothetical Questions
In this section, we share some really weird hypothetical questions. Some may seem unanswerable, and that is what makes them weird. Others simply make you scratch your head in confusion and take a stab at a reasonable sounding answer. All of these questions are guaranteed to provide fun!
- If someone with multiple personalities tried to kill himself, would it be attempted murder or attempted suicide?
- If the police break down your door, do they have to pay for the damage?
- If you were a zombie, what famous person’s body would you want to take over?
- Is it possible to cry underwater?
- Why does a round pizza come in a square box, and then is cut into triangles?
- Would you rather forget who everyone else is or who you are?
- If you were a child’s toy, what toy would you be and why?
- If you were abducted by aliens, would you tell anybody? Why or why not?
- If you could live forever on earth as it is now, would you? Why or why not?
- When you have questions about your life, have you ever consulted a palm reader or fortune teller? Would you?
- If you were not you, who would you want to be?
- If you could start any business, what business would start, what would it do, and what would it be called?
- If you could put wings on any wingless animal, which one would you choose?
- If all of a sudden, all animals could talk, would you still eat meat?
- If you were given the opportunity to live as long as you want, how long would you want to live?
- What would you say to scare someone who did not know you?
- How would you like to die and how old do you want to be when you die?
- If you were arrested, who would you call with your one telephone call? Why that person?
- If you were given a chance to go into space, would you go? Why or why not?
- If you were a color, what color would you choose to be and why?
- What do people do that makes you really annoyed when you are with them?
- What illegal thing would you like to make legal?
- Would you like to become the opposite sex? Why or why not?
Scenario Game Questions
In this section, we deal with imagined activities and situations. We have created some scenarios one might possibly encounter in daily life. We also have some imagined scenarios to challenge your thinking. The goal is to consider your options and respond with what you might do in that particular situation.
Playing a scenario game is fun at parties and also provides light-hearted family entertainment. To play a scenario game, have players take turns posing a scenario question to one other player or to the group. A player is allowed to pass on one question, but must answer the next question posed.
- You are on vacation and everything is stolen including all cash, credit cards, and identification. What would you do?
- You bump another car in a parking lot. Nobody sees you, but the damage is minimal; in fact, it is almost unnoticeable. Would you leave your name and address? Why or why not?
- You are in a bank and two people enter and start a hold up. How do you think you would react?
- You are stranded on a small island. Do you think you could survive and how would you do so?
- You are offered the opportunity to know exactly what you would be doing in 20 years from now, however, you cannot change your future at all. Would you want to know? Why or why not?
- You are offered the opportunity to visit any point in history. When would you want to visit and why? If you were offered the opportunity to stay there, would you?
- You will be banished to a desert island and can bring only three things. What will you bring and why?
- You are offered a job that pays $2,000 a week. You must sit in a dark room, all alone, in total silence, and remove unknown items from a box and place them on a conveyer belt. Would you take the job? Why or why not?
- You are offered the choice of taking a vacation anywhere in the world for any length of time or moving anywhere you wish. Which choice would you make and where would you go?
- You are offered $50,000 to go without bathing, brushing your teeth, or using any cosmetic or cleansing products. You cannot tell people why you are doing so. Will you accept the offer or pass? Why or why not?
- You can have a free chip put in your brain so that you would know all basic knowledge, such as multiplication tables, history facts, and automatically be able to speak and understand other languages. Would you do so? Why or why not?
- You win a contest in which you can choose to have free, unlimited services of a cook, a chauffeur, or a housecleaner. Which one would you choose and why?
- You can have any type of pet you want, with no limit on size or expense. What type of animal would you choose and why?
- You are informed that your house and all your possessions will be destroyed by an upcoming storm. Which three items (not people or pets) will you choose to save?
We hope you enjoy this collection of hypothetical questions. Remember that it is possible and great fun to create your own hypothetical questions and scenarios. There are really no limits to imagined possible, improbable, and truly outrageous situations. Have fun!