What makes a holiday more fun than laughter? And laughter is guaranteed with our Christmas riddles that will test your knowledge and that of your party guests in areas such as holiday movies, songs, gift giving, and general Christmas cheer. We begin with Christmas riddles for adults, many of which draw on your childhood memoires. Then we have some easier Christmas riddles for kids perfect for the classroom, church group – anywhere children gather at Christmas time. Next, we challenge you with riddles based upon Christmas songs and end with a Christmas riddle category we all love, Christmas gifts. Riddle on!
Related Christmas articles
- 182 Christmas Trivia Questions & Answers
- 54 Fun Christmas Movie Trivia Questions & Answers
- 17 Fun Christmas Party Games for Kids
Table of Contents
Christmas Riddles for Adults
Our list of trivia-type Christmas riddles for adults provides the perfect addition to your holiday party. See how many you can solve and then share them with your family and friends. You might wish to use them for a Christmas eve team trivia game. They also make good icebreakers for your Christmas party.
- What was the first company that used Santa Claus in advertising?
- In Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol,” what was the first name of Scrooge?
- Which country did eggnog come from?
- Which real life person is Santa Claus based on?
- What is Ralphie’s little brother’s name in the movie A Christmas Story?
- Which country started the tradition of putting up a Christmas tree?
- How many ghosts show up in A Christmas Carol?
- What is the name of the last ghost that visits Scrooge in A Christmas Carol?
- Visions of which food danced in children’s heads as they slept in the poem “‘Twas The Night Before Christmas?”
- What was the real name of the character Tim Allen plays in The Santa Clause?
- What department store was featured in the movie Miracle on 34th Street?
- What are the two other most popular names for Santa Claus?
- In Home Alone, where are the McCallisters going on vacation when they leave Kevin behind?
- With what three words was the Grinch described in How the Grinch Stole Christmas?
- In the movie It’s A Wonderful Life, what happened every time a bell rang?
- What Christmas decoration was originally made from strands of silver?
- Who played George Bailey in the Christmas classic It’s a Wonderful Life?
- What was the name of the animatronic cassette-playing bear toy that every kid wanted for Christmas in the mid-80s?
- What Christmas carol does the Peanuts gang sing at the end of “A Charlie Brown Christmas?”
- Per a recent holiday fad, what “spy” hides around the house, reporting back to Santa on who has been naughty and nice?
- Which Hollywood actor played six different roles in The Polar Express?
- Which fairy tale were the first gingerbread houses inspired by?
- Who wrote, “Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more?”
- Three of Santa’s reindeer’s names begin with the letter “D.” What are those names?
- What was the highest grossing Christmas movie of all time?
- In the movie Elf, how does Buddy get to the North Pole?
Christmas Riddles for Kids
Kids love riddles of any kind, and our list of Christmas riddles for kids adds to their enjoyment of the holiday season. Use them in the classroom, at parties, or have a family, Christmas riddle game on Christmas eve. They are perfect for anywhere kids gather during the holiday season.
- Why did they let the turkey join the band?
- What guided the three wise men to find the baby Jesus?
- What did the reindeer say when he saw an elf?
- How many presents can Santa fit in an empty sack?
- What do we leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve?
- What kind of party does a snowman throw?
- What kind of plant wears socks?
- Who says “Oh, Oh, Oh!”?
- What does a Gingerbread Man put on his bed?
- What color is the Grinch, who stole Christmas?
- What did Santa need when he sprained his ankle?
- Why did the Christmas cookies go to the doctor?
- What type of candle burns longer?
- What was Frosty the Snowman’s nose made out?
- What animated 2004 film is about a train that carries kids to the North Pole on Christmas Eve?
- What did the other reindeer not let Rudolph do because of his shiny red nose?
- What do you have in December that you don’t have in any other month?
- Where was baby Jesus born?
- Why can’t the Christmas tree stand up?
- What do elves put on their candy canes?
- What’s the best thing to put into a Christmas cookie?
- How do you scare a snowman?
- What are Santa’s little helpers called?
- What do you call an old snowman?
- Does Santa’s sleigh have wheels?
- What color is Santa’s belt?
- Name the two reindeer whose name begins with a “C”?
- What animal pulls Santa’s sleigh?
Christmas Carol Riddles
Every special day has its own special music and probably the one with the most songs is Christmas. See how many Christmas carols you know with our Christmas carol riddles. We have also included some musical Christmas riddles designed to make you laugh. Use these riddles at you next holiday party to add some fun.
- What do monkeys sing at Christmas?
- What song contains the line, “Jack Frost nipping at your nose”?
- What song do sheep in Mexico sing at Christmas?
- Which Christmas carol talks about a boy who is a diminutive percussionist?
- In “Jingle Bell Rock,” everyone is dancing and prancing around what?
- “Greensleeves” is another name for which Christmas song?
- What do fish sing at Christmas time?
- Which Christmas carol expresses jubilation to this orb?
- What is Frosty the Snowman’s favorite song?
- Which Christmas Carol is about the apartment of two psychiatrists?
- In the song “Jingle Bells” what kind of sleigh is it?
- What kind of bird has “gone away” in the song Winter Wonderland?
- Which Christmas song has the words, “giddy up, giddyap, giddy up, it’s grand?
- In the song “Winter Wonderland,” exactly how will you frolic and play?
- What color of Christmas did Elvis Presley have?
- In “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” where do the silent stars go by?
- What is the Grinch as cuddly as?
- Which popular Christmas carol is considered to be a lullaby?
- In a “Holly Jolly Christmas,” the lyrics tell us to have a cup of what?
- In the lyrics of “Go Tell it on the Mountain,” we are told to tell what over the hills and everywhere?
- In “We Three Kings,” they were following a star of wonder, star of night in which direction?
- In which Christmas carol is the message given, “Peace on the earth, good will to men, from Heaven’s all gracious King”?
- In “The Christmas Song,” who was seen kissing Santa Claus under the mistletoe?
- What did Frosty the Snowman do when they placed the magic hat on his head?
- What was the weather like that Christmas Eve when Rudolph had to guide the way?
- What does Alvin want for Christmas in “The Chipmunk Song”?
- According to the song, what did my true love give to me on the eighth day of Christmas?
- On the eleventh day of Christmas, what did my true love send to me?
- In the song “Winter Wonderland,” what is the name of the snowman?
- How many times does Santa check his list?
- In “The Christmas Song,” what helps to make the season bright?
- In the song, “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”, what is the prettiest sight to see?
- What has remained the best-selling Christmas song ever?
Christmas Gift Riddles
If you ask most people what their favorite part of Christmas is, they will probably answer, “The presents!” Our Christmas gift riddles add a clever twist to your holiday. Think carefully before answering, as many take an unusual twist!
- What did the little boy’s Mom say when he asked for a dog for Christmas?
- What was so good about the neurotic doll the girl was given for Christmas?
- Why did the little boy cry when he opened his gift?
- What is the best present you can receive for Christmas?
- What did the bald man say when he was given a comb for Christmas?
- Who delivers Christmas presents to dogs?
- What is the average number of gifts a man gets for Christmas?
- Why do mummies like Christmas so much?
- How did Darth Vader know what Luke Skywalker was getting for Christmas?
- What do you call it after all the gifts for Christmas have been opened?
- What’s the best holiday present that you can get for Christmas from Santa?
- What do you get when you cross an archer with a gift-wrapper?
- What does Santa bring naughty boys and girls on Christmas Eve? [/showhide] What do you get when you cross an archer with a gift-wrapper?
- How many total gifts were given in “The Twelve Days of Christmas” song?
- What gift did the Little Drummer Boy give to the newborn Christ?
- What Christmas gift lasts a long time, comes in a can, and many people do not like it?
- What are the tiny, inexpensive gifts put in Christmas stockings called?
- Which country has a tradition of a witch dropping gifts for children through the chimney at Christmas?
- What two phrases will you almost always find on Christmas gift tags?
- Which country gifts the Christmas tree that is placed at the Trafalgar Square in London, according to Christmas tradition?
- How does the Dutch version of Santa Claus transport his presents?
- What was Clement C. Moore’s Christmas gift to his children in 1822?
- What did Harry Potter get for his first Christmas at Hogwarts?
So, there you have it – plenty of riddles to start and end your holiday season with laughter. You might wish to create some of your own holiday riddles. Simply think of song, gift, movie, or anything associated with the Christmas season. Start with the answer and then create a clever question. Christmas riddles are always a welcome addition when entertaining at a party or anywhere there is a holiday gathering. Have fun and riddle away!
Susan majored in English with a double minor in Humanities and Business at Arizona State University and earned a Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Liberty University. She taught grades four through twelve in both public and private schools. Subjects included English, U.S. and world history and geography, math, earth and physical science, Bible, information technologies, and creative writing.
Susan has been freelance writing for over ten years, during which time she has written and edited books, newspaper articles, biographies, book reviews, guidelines, neighborhood descriptions for realtors, Power Point presentations, resumes, and numerous other projects.