What makes a holiday more fun than laughter? And laughter is guaranteed with our Christmas riddles that will test your knowledge and that of your party guests in areas such as holiday movies, songs, gift giving, and general Christmas cheer. We begin with Christmas riddles for adults, many of which draw on your childhood memoires. Then we have some easier Christmas riddles for kids perfect for the classroom, church group – anywhere children gather at Christmas time. Next, we challenge you with riddles based upon Christmas songs and end with a Christmas riddle category we all love, Christmas gifts. Riddle on!
Table of Contents
Christmas Riddles for Adults
Our list of trivia-type Christmas riddles for adults provides the perfect addition to your holiday party. See how many you can solve and then share them with your family and friends. You might wish to use them for a Christmas eve team trivia game. They also make good icebreakers for your Christmas party.
- What was the first company that used Santa Claus in advertising?Coca-Cola
- In Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol,” what was the first name of Scrooge?Ebenezer
- Which country did eggnog come from?England
- Which real life person is Santa Claus based on?The Christian bishop St. Nicholas
- What is Ralphie’s little brother’s name in the movie A Christmas Story?Randy
- Which country started the tradition of putting up a Christmas tree?Germany
- How many ghosts show up in A Christmas Carol?Four
- What is the name of the last ghost that visits Scrooge in A Christmas Carol?The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come
- Visions of which food danced in children’s heads as they slept in the poem “‘Twas The Night Before Christmas?”Sugar plums
- What was the real name of the character Tim Allen plays in The Santa Clause?Scott Calvin
- What department store was featured in the movie Miracle on 34th Street?Macy’s
- What are the two other most popular names for Santa Claus?Kris Kringle and Saint Nick
- In Home Alone, where are the McCallisters going on vacation when they leave Kevin behind?Paris
- With what three words was the Grinch described in How the Grinch Stole Christmas?Stink, stank, stunk
- In the movie It’s A Wonderful Life, what happened every time a bell rang?An angel got his wings
- What Christmas decoration was originally made from strands of silver?Tinsel
- Who played George Bailey in the Christmas classic It’s a Wonderful Life?Jimmy Stewart
- What was the name of the animatronic cassette-playing bear toy that every kid wanted for Christmas in the mid-80s?Teddy Ruxpin
- What Christmas carol does the Peanuts gang sing at the end of “A Charlie Brown Christmas?”“Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”
- Per a recent holiday fad, what “spy” hides around the house, reporting back to Santa on who has been naughty and nice?The Elf on the Shelf
- Which Hollywood actor played six different roles in The Polar Express?Tom Hanks
- Which fairy tale were the first gingerbread houses inspired by?Hansel and Gretel
- Who wrote, “Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more?”Dr. Seuss
- Three of Santa’s reindeer’s names begin with the letter “D.” What are those names?Dancer, Dasher, and Donner
- What was the highest grossing Christmas movie of all time?Home Alone
- In the movie Elf, how does Buddy get to the North Pole?He hides in Santa’s sack
Christmas Riddles for Kids
Kids love riddles of any kind, and our list of Christmas riddles for kids adds to their enjoyment of the holiday season. Use them in the classroom, at parties, or have a family, Christmas riddle game on Christmas eve. They are perfect for anywhere kids gather during the holiday season.
- Why did they let the turkey join the band?Because he had the drum sticks
- What guided the three wise men to find the baby Jesus?A star
- What did the reindeer say when he saw an elf?Nothing, reindeer can’t talk.
- How many presents can Santa fit in an empty sack?Only one – after that, it’s not empty anymore!
- What do we leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve?Cookies and milk
- What kind of party does a snowman throw?A Snow Ball
- What kind of plant wears socks?Mistletoe
- Who says “Oh, Oh, Oh!”?Santa walking backwards
- What does a Gingerbread Man put on his bed?A cookie sheet
- What color is the Grinch, who stole Christmas?Green
- What did Santa need when he sprained his ankle?A candy cane
- Why did the Christmas cookies go to the doctor?They were feeling crummy
- What type of candle burns longer?None, they all burn shorter.
- What was Frosty the Snowman’s nose made out?A button
- What animated 2004 film is about a train that carries kids to the North Pole on Christmas Eve?The Polar Express
- What did the other reindeer not let Rudolph do because of his shiny red nose?Join in any reindeer games
- What do you have in December that you don’t have in any other month?The letter D
- Where was baby Jesus born?In Bethlehem
- Why can’t the Christmas tree stand up?It doesn’t have legs.
- What do elves put on their candy canes?Their tongues
- What’s the best thing to put into a Christmas cookie?Your teeth
- How do you scare a snowman?With a hair dryer!
- What are Santa’s little helpers called?Elves
- What do you call an old snowman?Water
- Does Santa’s sleigh have wheels?No, it has runners.
- What color is Santa’s belt?Black
- Name the two reindeer whose name begins with a “C”?Comet and Cupid
- What animal pulls Santa’s sleigh?Reindeer
Christmas Carol Riddles
Every special day has its own special music and probably the one with the most songs is Christmas. See how many Christmas carols you know with our Christmas carol riddles. We have also included some musical Christmas riddles designed to make you laugh. Use these riddles at you next holiday party to add some fun.
- What do monkeys sing at Christmas?“Jungle bells, jungle bells. . .”
- What song contains the line, “Jack Frost nipping at your nose”?“The Christmas Song”
- What song do sheep in Mexico sing at Christmas?“Fleece Navidad!”
- Which Christmas carol talks about a boy who is a diminutive percussionist?“The Little Drummer Boy”
- In “Jingle Bell Rock,” everyone is dancing and prancing around what?The Christmas tree
- “Greensleeves” is another name for which Christmas song?“What Child Is This?”
- What do fish sing at Christmas time?Christmas Corals
- Which Christmas carol expresses jubilation to this orb?“Joy to the World”
- What is Frosty the Snowman’s favorite song?“Freeze a Jolly Good Fellow”
- Which Christmas Carol is about the apartment of two psychiatrists?The Nutcracker Suite
- In the song “Jingle Bells” what kind of sleigh is it?One horse open
- What kind of bird has “gone away” in the song Winter Wonderland?Bluebird
- Which Christmas song has the words, “giddy up, giddyap, giddy up, it’s grand?“Sleigh Ride
- In the song “Winter Wonderland,” exactly how will you frolic and play?The Eskimo way
- What color of Christmas did Elvis Presley have?Blue Christmas
- In “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” where do the silent stars go by?Above the deep and dreamless sleep
- What is the Grinch as cuddly as?Cactus
- Which popular Christmas carol is considered to be a lullaby?“Away in the Manger”
- In a “Holly Jolly Christmas,” the lyrics tell us to have a cup of what?Cheer
- In the lyrics of “Go Tell it on the Mountain,” we are told to tell what over the hills and everywhere?That Jesus Christ is born
- In “We Three Kings,” they were following a star of wonder, star of night in which direction?“Westward leading, still proceeding”
- In which Christmas carol is the message given, “Peace on the earth, good will to men, from Heaven’s all gracious King”?“It Came Upon a Midnight Clear”
- In “The Christmas Song,” who was seen kissing Santa Claus under the mistletoe?Mommy
- What did Frosty the Snowman do when they placed the magic hat on his head?He began to dance around
- What was the weather like that Christmas Eve when Rudolph had to guide the way?One foggy Christmas Eve
- What does Alvin want for Christmas in “The Chipmunk Song”?A hula hoop
- According to the song, what did my true love give to me on the eighth day of Christmas?Eight maids a milking
- On the eleventh day of Christmas, what did my true love send to me?Eleven pipers piping
- In the song “Winter Wonderland,” what is the name of the snowman?Parson Brown
- How many times does Santa check his list?Twice
- In “The Christmas Song,” what helps to make the season bright?A turkey and some mistletoe.
- In the song, “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”, what is the prettiest sight to see?The holly that will be on your own front door
- What has remained the best-selling Christmas song ever?“White Christmas” by Bing Crosby
Christmas Gift Riddles
If you ask most people what their favorite part of Christmas is, they will probably answer, “The presents!” Our Christmas gift riddles add a clever twist to your holiday. Think carefully before answering, as many take an unusual twist!
- What did the little boy’s Mom say when he asked for a dog for Christmas?“No, you can have turkey like everyone else.”
- What was so good about the neurotic doll the girl was given for Christmas?It was already wound up.
- Why did the little boy cry when he opened his gift?There was a battery with a note saying, “Toy not included.”
- What is the best present you can receive for Christmas?A broken drum. You just can’t beat it!
- What did the bald man say when he was given a comb for Christmas?Thanks, I’ll never part with it.
- Who delivers Christmas presents to dogs?Santa Paws.
- What is the average number of gifts a man gets for Christmas?10
- Why do mummies like Christmas so much?Because of all the wrapping.
- How did Darth Vader know what Luke Skywalker was getting for Christmas?Because he felt his “presents.”
- What do you call it after all the gifts for Christmas have been opened?Christmess
- What’s the best holiday present that you can get for Christmas from Santa?A broken drum, because you can’t beat it.
- What do you get when you cross an archer with a gift-wrapper?Ribbon hood
- What does Santa bring naughty boys and girls on Christmas Eve? [/showhide]
What do you get when you cross an archer with a gift-wrapper?A pack of batteries with a note saying “toy not included”
- How many total gifts were given in “The Twelve Days of Christmas” song?364
- What gift did the Little Drummer Boy give to the newborn Christ?He played a song for him on his drums.
- What Christmas gift lasts a long time, comes in a can, and many people do not like it?Fruitcake
- What are the tiny, inexpensive gifts put in Christmas stockings called?Stocking stuffers
- Which country has a tradition of a witch dropping gifts for children through the chimney at Christmas?Italy
- What two phrases will you almost always find on Christmas gift tags?To and From
- Which country gifts the Christmas tree that is placed at the Trafalgar Square in London, according to Christmas tradition?Norway
- How does the Dutch version of Santa Claus transport his presents?By steamboat
- What was Clement C. Moore’s Christmas gift to his children in 1822?The poem “The Night Before Christmas”
- What did Harry Potter get for his first Christmas at Hogwarts?A lumpy looking jumper from Mrs. Weasley and an invisibility cloak from Dumbledore
So, there you have it – plenty of riddles to start and end your holiday season with laughter. You might wish to create some of your own holiday riddles. Simply think of song, gift, movie, or anything associated with the Christmas season. Start with the answer and then create a clever question. Christmas riddles are always a welcome addition when entertaining at a party or anywhere there is a holiday gathering. Have fun and riddle away!
Susan majored in English with a double minor in Humanities and Business at Arizona State University and earned a Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Liberty University. She taught grades four through twelve in both public and private schools. Subjects included English, U.S. and world history and geography, math, earth and physical science, Bible, information technologies, and creative writing.
Susan has been freelance writing for over ten years, during which time she has written and edited books, newspaper articles, biographies, book reviews, guidelines, neighborhood descriptions for realtors, Power Point presentations, resumes, and numerous other projects.